Windows ME Virtual Memory Problem...

OldBaldy 16:53 15 Sep 03

I don't like ME, I don't use ME, but a friend of mine does....
I just did a full wipe and reinstall for him, but now windows seems to be having some problems with virtual memory. After as little as 15 mins of use, the entire system slows to a crawl... I went in and had a look at the virtual memory settings, and it was set to allow windows to manage etc etc but was claiming that the C: Drive has -124487MB Free - yes - that IS a minus sign before the number.. Windows explorer shows a good 50 Gig free... I assume that, as it THINKS there is a negative amount of hard disk, it isnt using VM at all... System is a P4 1.5 with 256MB SDRAM... I reset the settings to 0-1024MB as a temp solution, and it seems to be working for now, but I'd rather know the REAL problem... any ideas why the virtual memory settings are "losing" 175GB of hard disk? from 50GB free to -125GB is a big stepdown...

choffe 17:00 15 Sep 03

win me is an extention of the old 98se, so i guess that it too will have difficulties with large drives, as virtual mem is written on the hdd it may come up with a problem like this, i assume no updates have been installed yet from the microsoft page, and this may be why the problem has only now come to lite. as i remember on me update there is an update for large cache drive stability which helped me out.may be worth a look.

krypt1c 18:30 15 Sep 03

I've seen a number of recomendations about setting the swap file to be about 1.5 times pyhsical memory - in your case about 400mb - and also setting the min / max the same. There are issues with windows o/s upto and including winme in that memory isn't always released when an activity has finished with it.

Bebee 18:59 15 Sep 03

Not sure about the specific problem, but I have 120Gb hard drive with ME and no problems. You could see if setting the virtual memory yourself bypasses the problem.

OldBaldy 19:55 15 Sep 03

I said above that I'd set the memory levels manually - at min 0 max 1024 - and yes, it DOES seem to have fixed the problem - but I'd still like to know what is going on with it - its a TINY pc, and was restored using the TINY restore cd, so i expected it to behave itself as far as ME ever does...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…