Windows Me User problem

canute44 22:36 11 Oct 03

My young daughter recently logged herself on as a Windows user when there has only been one user (unnamed) ME! This seems to have stopped the automatic filling in of passwords in Outlook Express. How can I remove her user name and revert to single user?

LastChip 22:46 11 Oct 03

Go to Start; Settings; Control Panel; Passwords; and select User Profiles. Now select, "All users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings".

canute44 22:58 11 Oct 03

I have just tried Last Chip's advice but my daughter's name still comes up on start up and the autofill of passwords is still not back! Any other thoughts?

LastChip 23:57 11 Oct 03

OK. What about using System Restore to re-set the machine to a date prior to your daughter "fiddling" with it?

BBez 00:07 12 Oct 03

try deleting the *.pwl (password list) files by doing a start, find, files or folders. This'll wipe all stored passwords.

Switcher 00:31 12 Oct 03

Start PC

When presented with daughters username click on cancel.

Then- start- settings- control panel- users and select daughters name then delete.

canute44 10:52 12 Oct 03

Many thanks for replies one and all!
I am unable to use system restore as I had a previous problem and had to reinstall Windows therefore previous settings have gone.
Clicking on Users in Control Panel only produces the opportunity to add users and does not present me with a list of users, therefore I cannot delete daughters name!
Finally, I do not wish to delete all my passwords, I just want my PC to fill them in for me! They are all in the correct places but in Outlook Express and elsewhere I cannot select Remember Password. I feel that the additional User has brought some safety feature into play so that only I can access "sensitive" areas.
Any other thoughts??

LastChip 13:22 12 Oct 03

I think what may have happened, is now your daughter has her own "account", Windows ME will no longer accept a generic user.

So why not set yourself up as a unique user, with your own access, passwords etc?

As an aside. I thought that when you installed ME, it automatically created a restore point. In fact, my belief is, the default is ON and you have to turn the facility OFF if you don't want it to create back-ups for you.

canute44 15:17 12 Oct 03

LastChip
I owe you a pint! Problem solved! I have now put myself as a User and all is now restored as far as Passwords is concerned.
Your comment on System Restore is true but my darling little one had fiddled before I needed to reinstall Windows. Cheers for night time thinking!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…