Windows ME System seizing up?

Wes Tam ;-) 11:45 17 Mar 04

For some reason I'm now experiencing the following problems:

1 - when I double click the 'My Computer' icon it takes about 10 secs for the window to open, and a further 15 secs for the detail to be displayed.

2 - When I type an internet address into the address bar and click 'Go' there's a delay of 10 secs before a response (but if I click that same address in my 'Favourites' list the response is immediate). btw I'm on broadband.

3 - Within my folders, eg 'My Documents' the icons are now listed Z to A. Arranging the icons by name makes no difference. However if I choose 'small icons' and arrange by name they then display A to Z.

I've run my AV program - nothing found.

I tried 3 'System Restore' to various dates but they failed. I downloaded Q290700 (to solve the pre-Sept 2001 problem - although I had previously done that about a year ago) but then lost the previous 'Check Points'.

After that I removed 'Money 2004' that I had upgraded to about a week ago and also an update to my digital photos gateway software.

Result - no change to the problems.

I then tried a 'System Restore' to the new point prior to the deletions, but it gets about 2/3 of the way then freezes - so that's still not working (btw I have backed up the deletions I made).

The only other recent changes I've made is the installing of a firewire card and swapping a CD RW drive for a DVD RW drive. I didn't notice any problems following that.

What a sad story! anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

The Spires 12:03 17 Mar 04

Download & run with IE closed CWShredder, it's only a few k in size click here

Wes Tam ;-) 12:19 17 Mar 04

Thanks The Spires, I tried it but no change.

Nice little utility though.

Wes Tam ;-) 13:13 19 Mar 04

Today I downloaded a security update to Word 2000 (only because I was using Auto Route and took advantage of looking for updates) and now I notice that my problems 1 and 2 have been cured.

Problem 3 still remains though.

Aren't computers wonderful!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…