Windows Me System disk.

Winston Churchill 18:16 29 Jan 03

Ok, my hard drive on my third computer has sckrewd it is a 12gb fujitsu and that is all i know, it is asking for a windows ME system disk and it does not detect the drive, i have tried it in 2 other computers and it dont work, any help, where can i get a ME system disk, i can't get onto a computer with ME, only xp home, xp pro.

Thanks

Cuddles 18:19 29 Jan 03

Have a look here click here

Winston Churchill 18:32 29 Jan 03

Thanks, i dont know if it will work, if it dont, what should i do?

Winston Churchill 19:12 29 Jan 03

When i try to format c: it says that format on this drive is not supported, format terminated.
People, what should i do? (I want to wipe it)

flecc 20:20 29 Jan 03

They've been failing in large numbers, so the answer is to replace the hard drive it seems. The system disc message isn't helpful, it's just telling you that this hard drive is no longer a valid one because the boot information can't be read from it.

An ME startup flopy is a valid system disc but will only get you to an A prompt, it won't help you to read the hard drive. As you've tried the hard drive in other computers it's virtually certain to be a lost cause.

A new drive will either have to be Fdisked, or formatted with a program like Partition Magic before Windows can be loaded onto it.

flecc 20:24 29 Jan 03

To help you with that, here's the procedure.

To Fdisk your new drive you need a Windows startup floppy disc and if you haven't got one, go to Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Startup disc tab and make one. Alternatively, you can download the files for one from click here.

1) Insert the startup floppy and boot/reboot, and at the default option "Start with CD ROM support", press Enter.

2) When the A:\> prompt appears, type: fdisk and press Enter. You'll see a paragraph of detail, but just look at the foot. If a Y for yes is shown in brackets, press Enter, if it's N for no, type Y and press Enter. This enables large disk support.

3) The Options screen will now show drive 1 selected, so type 5 and press Enter to change hard drives.

4) Select the second drive by typing it's number, which should be 2, you can check it's size in megabytes alongside to make sure you've got the right one, then press Enter.

5) On the next screen, the default 1 will show to create a DOS partition, so press Enter, and on the next screen the default is again 1 to create a Primary DOS partition, so press Enter again.

6) Fdisk will now do it's job and verify it, but this might take a while with a large drive. When it's finished, press Esc repeatedly to exit Fdisk.

7) Reboot the computer for your drive to show as hard drive D in My Computer. Double click it and you should get an error message, it's not ready to be used yet since it will need formatting, and this will confirm you have the right drive to format.

8) Once confirmed as the right drive, right click it and select Format. A warning message will tell you that this action will remove existing information. In the format dialogue box, you should select Full Format and type in a volume label if you want to, it's optional.

9) After the format is completed, Windows suggests you should run a complete surface scan of the drive. To do this, first shut down background programs, then right click the new drive, select Properties, and then the Tools Tab, finally clicking the Check Now button. Then on
the Scandisc utility, select the new drive, select Thorough, and click Start. Being a thorough check means it can take quite a while, more than an hour with a large drive. If no errors are reported, it's ready for use. If a new disc has errors, it should be returned immediately for exchange.

Now you're ready for action at last! You can drag and drop between drives in Windows Explorer, or even better, set up right click context menu "Send To" shortcuts for Drives C and D to facilitate transfers of data.

flecc 20:26 29 Jan 03

That pretype includes multiple hard drives, so at step three, just click to go onto step 5.

flecc 20:27 29 Jan 03

And of course you'll install Windows before the formatting stage, for that just follow the onscreen instructions.

Altair 21:20 29 Jan 03

Beat me to it Flecc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…