Windows ME stuck in safe mode

colberly 18:52 21 May 06

Wonder if anyone can help please. A friend of mine has a PC with ME and Norton AV. Suddenly windows seems to be stuck in safe mode and obviously she cannot get past this so can't use her computer. I vaguely remember a few years ago the same thing happening on my PC with same AV and ME but can't remember how I resolved it. I did though then ditched Norton but the old brain cells don't function as well as they did so need help and advice please which I can pass along as she needs her PC for the work she does. She is talking about buying new, but then she will lose all the files she has.

VoG II 18:57 21 May 06

The obvious thing to try is System Restore. I can't remember where this is in ME but it should be something like Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

johnnyrocker 19:00 21 May 06

or last known good config while in safe.

Diversion 19:01 21 May 06

If I remember ME has system restore on it, maybe she could do a system restore from safe mode to an earlier point in time.

colberly 19:01 21 May 06

Afraid she can't even get that far, Norton appears to have sort of locked the PC which happened with mine also. Wish I could remember how I resolved things.

bosmere 19:02 21 May 06

Does this help click here

VoG II 19:03 21 May 06

When you say 'stuck in safe mode' do you mean that it won't go into normal mode or that it won't work full stop?

A curse on Norton - that's just my personal opinion.

colberly 19:04 21 May 06

Thank you for that, yes I think it does help, will pass it on to her.

colberly 19:14 21 May 06

It won't go into normal mode it is saying safe mode in all 4 corners of the screen and she can't get beyond that. I do totally agree with your views on Norton.

VoG II 19:19 21 May 06

System Restore should work in Safe Mode if she can navigate with the screen being 'too big'.

If bosmere's suggestion doesn't work then it should be possible to boot from the ME CD in the drive click here and do an over the top installation of Windows.

colberly 09:35 22 May 06

Thank you have passsed on all the info. Will mark as resolved and see how she gets on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…