//some 3rd party need geo

Windows ME start up problem

slowhand_1000 21:33 15 Sep 03

Hi

I have been asked by a friend to have a look at his pc. As far as he knows it started intermittently about 1 week ago. But now is at the stage where he can't get anything.
When starting up he gets the following messages

Avsynmgr has caused an error in unknown>

click close

then get another straight away

"Explorer caused an error in OLE32.DLL"

click close

All that is visible is a clear desktop screen, no icons, no taskbar. I know that the error message 'Avsynmgr' is something to do with McCafee. Has he got a virus ?

I have tried starting in safe mode but the same messages appear with the same end result. I know ME has a system restore, can it be accessed through dos ?. As holding down the Ctrl key on start up at least gets me into the options screen for safe mode etc.

cheers

slowhand

VoG II 21:38 15 Sep 03

To access System Restore in DOS

C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

VoG II 21:42 15 Sep 03

You are right - that is a McAfee file. Either the file has been corrupted or he *might* have a virus.

If you can manage to get the beast to start up I would try an on-line scan click here

slowhand_1000 22:02 15 Sep 03

to look properly at the choise you get when holding down Ctrl key at start up. There's no dos option on ME.

VoG II 22:11 15 Sep 03

There should be. I used to use it.

slowhand_1000 22:13 15 Sep 03

Only got 4 choices VoG

1. Normal

2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)

3. Safe mode

4. Step-by-step confirmation

slowhand_1000 22:15 15 Sep 03

Forgot to mention that when starting in safe mode, the screen is still a blank desktop apert from it has 'Safe mode' in the corners as usual. But nowt else.

VoG II 22:19 15 Sep 03

If you can get into the BIOS, set the CDROM as the first boot device. Insert the ME disk, reboot and follow the instructions for an over-the-top repair. This will (well should) leave all programs and data in place.

slowhand_1000 00:24 16 Sep 03

VoG

Managed to get into the bios and get the thing booted up. Trying to do an over-the-top install but error message after error message keeps stopping the setup. Have found a MS work around

click here

If this does not work then it's a reformat. Luckily the drive is partioned.

Thanks for your help VoG

cheers

slowhand_1000 01:20 16 Sep 03

Well it didn't work, so reformat it is :-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…