Windows ME, slow loading 'open with'

Healer13 22:54 22 Jun 03

When I want to select a program to open a file I right click on the file and select 'open with'. It takes in excess of 2 minutes to respond but is OK after that until the PC is re- started, then it takes time again.
How can I remedy this?

Pesala 00:11 23 Jun 03

I find that it takes about 10 - 15 seconds on Windows ME on a 1Ghz AMD Athlon. The second time is it instant. Try removing any excess programs, defragmenting the hard drive, then time it again.

S Walch 00:45 23 Jun 03

Is trying a new OS.

Mianly because the ME version of windows is the worst out to date (I thought they couldn't do worse than 98 - but once again they prove me wrong :P )

Mango Grummit 01:10 23 Jun 03

On this forum we try to be helpful and constructive. We do not decry other peoples choices or make mean-spirited and pointless remarks.

Xevious 10:07 23 Jun 03

well put mango.

it's all a matter of opinion at the end of the day.

i had WinME installed on my PC for ages and never had any problems with it. guess it all depends what you do with it, and how you look after it...

so if you take care, there's no need to worry!!!

expertec 13:17 23 Jun 03

I have exactly the same problem as Healer13, i recently defragged hard drive but it still does this ver slowly

I don't know why so many people say Window$ ME is rubbish, i've been running it for ages with hardly any problems, it is very stable

Healer13 22:33 23 Jun 03

Thanks for the advice, I've tried cutting down on programs and 'cleaning the system' but to no avail.
Guess I'll learn to live with it.

sattman 22:59 23 Jun 03

I wonder, could you perhaps try a selective start up and by elimination find out what is causing the problem, assuming it is software.

jazzypop 23:21 23 Jun 03

It's one of the 'features' of ME that MS know about, but don't seem able / willing to fox - see click here

Healer13 09:21 30 Nov 03

I've fixed it! A total re-install of Windows ME has got it running right.

ofurum-217251 15:46 30 Nov 03

computer not booting in the operating syst.
and program files load slowly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…