Windows me rundll32.exe

dave151 21:49 06 Nov 03

Having searched everywhere for my missing windows 98 rundll 32.exe, can I use the file from my friends Windows me ?

Giggle n' Bits 21:58 06 Nov 03

missing the run32dll.exe erh which windows do you have ? Is it win98/98SE/Me or XP ? If xp or Me do a system restore to a earlier date when things were ok.

To repair this in Win98/98SE you will need the Win98SE CD.

You need to go to Start-Run and type in SFC then type in the above missing file in the top box then the destination to be coppied to which is your HDD and select the source from or point it to the D Drive.

you could try and run SFC in the Run box and hit ok see if that starts the process of for you

For XP > click here

Jester2K II 21:58 06 Nov 03

Probably not.

Whats the original problem and the EXACT spelling of the file (this IS important)

Can't you restore it from the 98 CD or Cabs folder on the hard drive?

Jester2K II 21:59 06 Nov 03

Well Audio Chip beat me to it. However if you have no Cd look for a folder in c:\windows\options\cabs and point SFC there..

DieSse 22:19 06 Nov 03

I seem to remember run32dll.exe is a virus - and not a legitimate windows file - it just looks like one. click here

Perhaps someone with Windows98 can confirm that ths file doesn't exist in Windows please.

Jester2K II 23:08 06 Nov 03

Thats why i asked for the EXACT spelling...

Jester2K II 23:10 06 Nov 03

If the spelling is rundll32.exe as DieSse says its a virus. You can't / don't want to put it back. Something has removed it, however Windows is still trying to start it on boot up.

Use MSCONFIG to disable the entry that calls it...

DieSse 23:16 06 Nov 03

AS someone said - "two minds with but a single thought"

Or as someone else put it - "two brains and only one idea between them"

woodchip 23:16 06 Nov 03

It's not a virus it is a windows file I have just checked my comp. It's what is used to run 32bit programs

woodchip 23:17 06 Nov 03

for instence Tweak UI uses it to run if you check MSCONFIG startup tab

flecc 23:21 06 Nov 03

The ME version will probably work. Rundll32.exe doesn't have too many duties. If you right click the desktop to get to desktop properties for example, you'll get the message that it's missing.

It's one of the files that I throw out of a number of my fixed systems since it's not essential for most common computing functions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…