Windows ME restore points?

pj123 14:37 07 Mar 06

I am running Win 98SE and if I need to restore to a previous date I use scanreg /restore.

My next door neighbour is running ME and has a problem booting up. I told him to try scanreg /restore but it doesn't seem to work. I thought Win 98SE and ME were about the same.

Can anyone tell me how to restore to a previous date in ME please?

Batch 14:44 07 Mar 06

In the System Tools menu, click on System Restore

pj123 15:14 07 Mar 06

Batch, doesn't get that far. All it gets is a blue screen with the hourglass and nothing else happens.

I can get it to start in Safe Mode (after a scandisk) but when I do Start, Shutdown and restart it comes up with the same blue screen and hourglass but nothing else.

Batch 18:17 07 Mar 06

Can't you run System Restore in Safe Mode?

jakimo 19:01 07 Mar 06

WinMe can be restored from dos:

click here

Batch 08:24 08 Mar 06

I think the dos route restores the registry to an earlier time, but doesn't undo all the other changes that are tracked by System Restore. That said, it's better than nothing.

pj123 15:22 08 Mar 06

Thanks guys. Giving it a go.

pj123 15:31 08 Mar 06

I just tried a "Step by Step" bootup. All going well until I get to: msmouse.vxd then all stops.

Looks like the mouse is causing the problem. I am using my mouse from this computer which works perfectly. Will get my neighbour to fetch his mouse in when he gets home from work.

If that does the same thing then it looks like the mouse connection on the Motherboard could be faulty. I wouldn't had thought a mouse would stop a computer booting though. I have just tried mine without the mouse connected and it boots fine. Just that I have to use the keyboard shortcuts to be able to use it.

pj123 11:16 09 Mar 06

Although we didn't fix the problem we formatted and re-installed ME. All working as normal again.

No data was lost as the drive was partitioned and all personal files etc are on the D: drive.

Thanks for the help.

Ticked as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…