Is Windows ME really as bad as I am experiencing

Never again 23:18 01 Feb 05

I have tried to look after my ageing pc for nearly 6 years now as it has been continually upgraded as finances have allowed, but every time I start it up now I always get a scandisk or the BSOD.

Is it time to call it a day?

I am on a very tight bugdet and would probably sell my wife for a pentium 4 chip in a whizz bang pc, but is there another way (not the dark side).

If I upgrade to xp it is going to cost me £150 at the very least as my printer, an hp720c is supposed to be incompatible, but I could buy a sempron system for about £100 more.

any advice?

jakimo 23:37 01 Feb 05

Sounds as though your system needs a tune up, upgrading to Win.xp on to an old system will probably make it worse,would suggest you format your hdd. and re-install Win Me.

By the way Can Your Wife Cook?

LastChip 23:45 01 Feb 05

I would say NO.

There is no reason why ME should not run perfectly reasonably.

One of the primary causes of problems such as yours, is Windows tendency to leave bits of entries in the registry, when they should have been cleared out many moons ago.

click here for a little program that was developed by Microsoft, (Regclean v4.1a) but is no longer supported. However, I use it regularly and it works just fine. There are other programs available, but many can (and do) cause severe problems, as they can be over zealous in removing items.

It will safely clean out your registry and write a backup just in case, although in nearly four years of use, I've never had cause to use the backup.

Try a clean out with this, and while your at it, clean out all your old temp files. The easiest way to do this, is go to; Start; Programs: Accessories: System Tools; Disk Cleanup; and then select the area's you want to clean.

Once that's complete, run Scandisc to finally verify all is as it should be.

See if that helps.

Never again 23:48 01 Feb 05

Unfortunately....no my wife can't cook.

I keep my system as clean as I can. I scandisk and defrag regularly, run norton anti virus until recently when I swapped to AVG, run adaware and spybot, stopped file sharing by the kids, etc but I still have start up and running prolbems regularly.

Is my OS just rubbish ?

Never again 23:50 01 Feb 05

I'll have a go now and get back, but my wife still can't cook.

Never again 00:00 02 Feb 05

regclean is not responding.

Am I just a magnet for poo.

Is there an exorcist in the forum.

LastChip 00:08 02 Feb 05

What exactly is happening?

You install it first and then run it by clicking on the executable file.

User-312386 00:13 02 Feb 05

Could you do me a favour and post your system specs please

Never again 00:13 02 Feb 05

I selected your link but it has stopped about half way through and that was about 10 minutes ago.

obviously it does not want to install.

I think my pc is a woman with a mind of her own, probably my sister in law.

Never again 00:15 02 Feb 05

how should I do that - is belarc advisor any good or do you want to know that I am running a p3800 with 512 mb ram on windows me.

Never again 00:27 02 Feb 05

I can't beleive that regclean is still stuck 40 minutes later.

anyone got a hammer??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…