Windows Me problem

mikeyb59 16:14 01 Jun 04

Got called to a problem on my brothers pc. Afetr several years of trouble free operation it is now playing up.

When starting up normally all the icons are super sized and it displays the following error message-

Sistray has caused an error in Kernel32.dll and has to close

Also the mouse is not recognised. If I start it in safe mode all is ok with no apparent errors.

I will probably reinstall Me but I hope someone may be able to suggest a fix.

zackeriney 16:15 01 Jun 04

try starting in safe mode right click he desktop and check the screen resolution.

mikeyb59 16:24 01 Jun 04

Starting in safe mode does not give me the option to change the resolution. It defaults to 680x480 & 16 bit colour.

Mister Splendid 16:27 01 Jun 04

Starting in safe-mode and seeing what the screen resolution is will not fix your problem. It will probably default to 640x480 anyway. Try, with Windows running, inserting the Windows cd and running the install from there. Over-installing like this will replace all the Windows system files and may well fix the problem.

Mister Splendid 16:29 01 Jun 04

You posted while I was typing!

zackeriney 16:30 01 Jun 04

it fixed my problem because my resolution went up so i put it back to normal in safe mode

mikeyb59 17:28 01 Jun 04

Thanks for your suggestion. Installing Me "over the top" will be my solution to the problem.

Will leave this thread to run for a while in case others have a better solution.

sattman 17:50 01 Jun 04

Have you tried going to an earlier restore point

woodchip 17:58 01 Jun 04

If he as had it that long then a clean install would make it run like a new comp but save Drivers for hardware and anything else like E-mail etc so you can put these back after

mikeyb59 18:00 01 Jun 04

As you may be aware Me's system restore is less than reliable. I only have the option of 2 restore dates and they are months old, also, I can't select either of them.

Good idea tho'

mikeyb59 18:02 01 Jun 04

My thoughts exactly! Being an XP man myself I keep trying to get him to move up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…