Windows Me Password

Poplarsman 17:51 26 Jul 03

I cannot install password - am getting message:
"administrator has disabled password control panel" - any ideas please?

graham√ 18:03 26 Jul 03

My first trick would be to turn off and unplug the PC, take out the motherboard battery for 15 minutes, then boot into bios. You may find you can set your own admin password, then your own.

DieSse 18:23 26 Jul 03

Th motherboard battery only controls the password function in the BIOS - it doesn't sound like this here. If you take the battery out yu will lose all your BIOS settings - so don't do it unless you know why, and how to resetup the BIOS.

graham√ 20:13 26 Jul 03

I wonder if this is a network PC and Poplarsman is trying to defeat the admins settings?

Poplarsman 09:57 27 Jul 03

No -I can assure you I bought it approx 18 months ago, new, as a standalone PC & use it at home.

graham√ 10:07 27 Jul 03

OK, it sounds like, for some reason, you are not logged on as Administrator. Has someone made changes in that department, I wonder?

graham√ 10:11 27 Jul 03

Sorry, clicked too soon. Open User Accounts in Control Panel, see what's in there.

jazzypop 10:12 27 Jul 03

Can you be more precise about "I cannot install password" - which password, exactly? There are many places where you could be entering a password in WinME.

Poplarsman 12:03 27 Jul 03

To Graham: thetre's nothing in there - I'm the only 'user.'

To: Jazzypop: what I'm seeking is to set up a system password to bar anyone else from accessing the computer

graham√ 15:42 27 Jul 03

Is the User Account a blank screen? Look in 'help' for user accounts, how to set up. Not much help but I'm on XP!

There should be at least one account with Administrator rights, somewhere. The lack of responses suggests this is a tricky one which may involve Registry changes. Beyond me, I'm afraid.

DieSse 15:51 27 Jul 03

It's very difficult to bar anyone from accessing the computer jut by using a password at the start-up screen. It's simple to at least partially get round just by closing the password window.

To truly stop a casual user getting into the system, you could try a password in the BIOS settings. This will stop the system from even booting up, and can only be gotten around by taking the case off, etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…