Windows ME overhaul needed

willo500 01:30 23 Aug 05

Hi

Can anyone help? My g/f's pc is pretty old running ME and has a mind of it's own. Freezing and crashing and all sorts are the order of the day. She doesn't have a copy of windows to reinstall and it wont even let her update security fixes.

Can you recommend a utility or something that would restore this system to immaculate working order or something similar.

I am not really convinced that by buying one of these pc doctor programs for $27.99 or whatever that it will help but if there is one out there that would indeed do the job I would give it a go

Many thanks

Willo

broggs 01:37 23 Aug 05

sorry ...but the only solution for m.e. is to get rid.sorry for being so abrupt but since "getting rid" I have had no problems like you describe with win 2k and xp.

Completealias 01:45 23 Aug 05

If a reinstallion isn't an option then you have to go down the route of ccleaner click here which will clean out all of the acumilated crud that builds up.

A clean out with a registry cleaner regcleaner click here and regseeker click here get recommended on here, I have used the regcleaner and not had any problems with it. They are all free

Run through scandisk and defragment the drive.

You would also be wise to run a virus and anti spyware check as well. Links to freebies can be posted

Why can you not download security updates do you get an error message or...?

Completealias 01:50 23 Aug 05

If a reinstallion isn't an option then you have to go down the route of ccleaner click here which will clean out all of the acumilated crud that builds up.

A clean out with a registry cleaner regcleaner click here and regseeker click here get recommended on here, I have used the regcleaner and not had any problems with it. They are all free

Run through scandisk and defragment the drive.

You would also be wise to run a virus and anti spyware check as well. Links to freebies can be posted

Why can you not download security updates do you get an error message or...?

willo500 02:12 23 Aug 05

Thanks for the advice folks. I know what you mean about ME broggs but financial constraints prohibit changing at the moment. I will try and run the programs you mention completealias.

Thanks again

Willo

willo500 02:14 23 Aug 05

Thanks for the advice folks. I know what you mean about ME broggs but financial constraints prohibit changing at the moment. I will try and run the programs you mention completealias.

Thanks again

Willo

willo500 10:31 23 Aug 05

I wonder if I could use an old copy of Norton Systemworks 2002 which I have but no longer use?

Completealias 12:26 23 Aug 05

Don't see why not I'm not a fan of norton myself but can't see why it wouldn't install.

gudgulf 16:22 23 Aug 05

As well as clearing out the system files etc as suggested by Completealias I would take the side off the pc case and clean out any build up of dust/fluff etc that you find.Pay special attention to the areas around the fan/heatsink on the processor and graphics card and around the front lower part of the case/any other ventilation holes.

Consider also removing and re-seating any memory modules.These can become slightly unseated and the contacts become less efficient over time causing system errors.

I would be wary of Norton SystemWorks if I didn't have all the system discs etc.It is an effective but powerful tool and personal experience suggests you could end up removing essential files as well as the rubbish!!Use with care.

willo500 01:01 24 Aug 05

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try all of the above

Willo

Strawballs 01:39 24 Aug 05

I too can also recomend the regcleaner I have been using it for years now and have never had a problem go to tools > registery clean up > do them all and let it run it will check your reg and highlight all entries that are no longer required then remove them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…