Windows ME not recognising new hard drive

triflesterms 23:31 16 Dec 05

Hi

Ive just connected a new maxtor 6L300R0 Diamondmax 10 300GB hard drive & made it slave & old hard drive master, i can see it in boot devices but not in windows.
Hope someone can help?

Thanx

Longhouse 23:52 16 Dec 05

I had similar problem with 200Gb drive in ME - think you'll find that ME has a 137Gb limit on HDD.

triflesterms 00:50 17 Dec 05

i see, what i want to do is copy all my mp3's from my master hard drive to my new one then install xp on master, would doing this increase my new drive & keep mp3's?

Thanx

DieSse 01:48 17 Dec 05

Is the drive recognised as full capacity in the BIOS?

Can yopu fromat it with an ME boot floppy - if so, to what capacity?

A very possible problem is that you have an older computer that simply can't recognise drives of this capacity.

One solution to this is the MaxBlast software, which you can download free from the MaxTor site.

triflesterms 02:00 17 Dec 05

it doesnt recognise it in bios, i tried to format in windows with no luck, already downloaded maxblast4 thats how i got windows to recognise drive, the computer is about 3years old.
would i lose my mp3's once i increase capacity?

Thanx

Longhouse 07:58 17 Dec 05

Whilst it is possible that the BIOS won't support a drive of this size I belive the Maxblast software is a drive overlay and should allow the drive to be used to full capacity by software jiggery pokery (I used to use EZdrive with old machines and W95).

A better solution might be to try loading WinXP on the new drive set as master, then transfer the MP3 files from the old drive set as slave to the new XP master.

Once done, you could reformat / delete those files from the slave (old drive) that you no longer need.

PaulB2005 08:00 17 Dec 05

"A better solution might be to try loading WinXP on the new drive set as master, then transfer the MP3 files from the old drive set as slave to the new XP master.

Once done, you could reformat / delete those files from the slave (old drive) that you no longer need."

Much better way. Installing Windows runs the risk of formatting over the mp3s.

jack 08:45 17 Dec 05

If you have burning software and full sets of O/S and program disks

Try this ,burn the files that want to save to CD.
Ther format and reload to the Harddrives as approriate as already discussed.
If you cannot burn, do you know some one that can and take the data disk to their machine?

PaulB2005 08:51 17 Dec 05

What's the point when you can just remove the old smaller hard drive with all the data on it, install the new bigger hard drive and install Windows. Once up and running shut down, install the old drive as a Slave and copy the files over to the new drive and then format the old drive for storage / backup.

No need to burn copies or use other PCs. It's the way I've been upgrading Hard drives for years. If the new drive won't install you can just pop the old drive back in.

storm clouds 13:38 17 Dec 05

Thanks for all the advice everyone :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now