//some 3rd party need geo

Windows me - No floppy boot on faulty system

Ricktos 23:46 24 Mar 03

Quite a simple problem that I have. I'm fixing a friends computer at the moment and basically it has an 'ActiveX' virus on the system. The only option for me is to wipe the HD and reinstall WinME. But, when I start the computer up with a Start-up disk inside it doesn't read the floppy drive to take me to the DOS screen where I can perform the wipe and a reinstall of windows. The virus stops any chance of the reinstall (or ANY other use while in Windows) so that is not an option. I have checked the BIOS and, like most computers, is configured to check the Floppy drive for any disks on start-up but it still doesn't attempt to check for floppys. Any idea's would be much appreciated!!! Thanks.

Megatyte 00:10 25 Mar 03

Is the boot order in BIOS set for 'A' first?

AH

Ricktos 00:40 25 Mar 03

yep

kuhbler 00:51 25 Mar 03

Did you play around inside the case at all. I have broken 2 floppy drive connection cables by knocking them. It is really irritating as there is no obvious sign of damage until you try and bootup and the drive isn't found.

The problem with my MoBo is that the floppy drive connection is hidden away and is a bitch to get at, thus causing problems. One thing was that the drive was recognised in the bios but not when it tried to boot.

Might be worth getting a floppy drive cable just to check this.

Ricktos 23:18 25 Mar 03

You were right the floppy drive was faulty, god knows what was wrong with it, thanks again mate!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…