Windows ME, network icon removal?

Blackhat 23:08 31 Jul 07

I am using a laptop running windows ME OS, (dont ask) and I can't get rid of the "My Networks" icon from the desktop.

I use this laptop for one purpose only and have tried my best to minimalise the desktop screen but this one is bugging me.

Opening properties does not give an option, folder options in control panel does not give an option.

Any ideas?

brundle 23:16 31 Jul 07

TweakUI 1.33; click here

I can't remember the precise options, but there is definitely the facility to hide various desktop icons.

woodchip 23:20 31 Jul 07

AS brundle, It comes under Desktop tab in Tweak UI. You can also Download from PCA Downloads

Blackhat 23:30 31 Jul 07

I don't have an internet connection for the laptop! It is a reconditioned job and lacks certain functions, I got it free and I only use it for writing my book in word.

I can only use the OS itself.

brundle 23:38 31 Jul 07

So why are you worried about desktop icons?

Blackhat 23:44 31 Jul 07

I know it sounds petty but I just don't want to see it on my desktop, I have set this laptop up for one pupose only and I only want one icon on my desktop.

It just annoys me that I can't get rid of it.

woodchip 18:10 01 Aug 07

Why cannot you download the file on the computer you are on????? Put it on a disc or memory card, then load it on your comp

jimv7 18:38 01 Aug 07

If I remember, go into network properties and change the drop down menu to 'windows logon', after a restart it will be gone.

Blackhat 00:02 02 Aug 07

Tried that but it didn't work, however, after some more research I did find a quick fix and it worked. So for future referance if anyone needs to know use the following;

Click Start, run, type regedit, click OK.
Once you are in the Registry Editor, navigate your way to the following folders:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MicrosoftWindows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Once you are there, right-click the right side of the screen.
Select New and click DWORD Value.
Name it "NoNetHood" (without quotes).
Now, double click on it and in the Value section type "1" (without quotes).
Click OK.
Now, exit and restart your computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple