//some 3rd party need geo

Windows ME installation problems

dandrews 09:30 05 Feb 03

Dear experts,
My computer, originally installed with ME now no longer can be loaded with this operating system, and setup fails to complete, usually right at the end of the process ("Starting Windows for the first time"-but it doesn't). I can install Windows98 however. Can anyone identify what differences between the evidently similar operating systems would cause the problem, which I suspect is to do with a hardware fault in my budget computer I foolishly bought from a well known manufacturer?

Stokey 09:38 05 Feb 03

If you are trying to reinstall WinME from a recovery disc rather than a purchased (out of the box) OS this may be the problem. Quite simply, a lot of the recovery discs are fairly useless unfortunately.

anchor 09:57 05 Feb 03

Perhaps you could hold of a Win-ME upgrade disc, that you could install after the successful installation of Win-98.

dandrews 15:28 05 Feb 03

I note your comments. I have already tried both the recovery disc supplied with the computer and an unrestricted ME disc. I have tried installation from a formatted hard disc and as an upgrade from an installed 98. I suspect my computer has a fault, and whatever differences there are between the two OSs will give an indication of where the fault lies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…