Windows ME install over W98 SE

Newbolt 12:27 29 Feb 04

Trying to install ME on my son's computer [not currently on the net] over W98 SE. On starting setup receive the pop-up 'Setup does not have enough conventional memory to check your computer hard disk'. Defrag freezes, & scandisk produces the pop-up 'Scandisk could not continue because your computer does not have enough available memory'. System has an AMD K6 450 processor. 20gb hard disk, 19.0 gb free, 64mb of RAM, 93% free. Wuld appreciatesome advice to overcome this, please.

VoG II 12:30 29 Feb 04
  Newbolt 13:27 29 Feb 04

Thanks VoG - unfortunately neither of the clicks solved the problem. Could it be to do with the inability to scan/defrag? There iss nothing which needs to be kept on this computer. Would it be easier to format and start from scratch [and if so how, precisely], please?

Newbolt 14:43 29 Feb 04

Has anyone else any thoughts on this, please?

Personally, I would find out what's amiss with the PC, and keep 98SE. I had ME once, found it very unstable.

tenplus1 14:52 29 Feb 04

Best advice I can give you is NOT to use Windows ME, it's buggy as hell... 98SE is a lot more stable and for the sake of a few visual enhancements it's not worth the update...

Newbolt 15:02 29 Feb 04

Thanks for the responses - although I run ME on another machine, and touch wood, its pretty good. What concerns me more is this inability to defrag and scandisk, when it is telling me there isn't enough memory to perform either task. How to overcome this?

VoG II 15:06 29 Feb 04

Is click here the error?

norman47 15:14 29 Feb 04

Are you running scandisk in windows or through dos? If in windows, pick start / shut down / restart in msdos.

Change the windows directory from c:\ windows to c:\ by putting cd.. after c:\ windows. So it will read c:\ windows cd.. and enter.

When you get to the c:\ prompt type scandisk and enter. c:\ scandisk. See if it will do the full scandisk. When it is checking the disk look for bad sectors on the disk, marked as a red square. If there is some, let windows do the full scan, it will mark those as unusable.

If it gets you through this then you could format and load M.E. through dos. If it does not get you through this then I would say your hard drive has problems.

To install M.E. through dos, boot to the c:\ prompt again. Then put format c: after it. So it looks c:\ format c: and enter. You will be warned about loosing all your data. When formating has finished you will be asked if you want a label. This is just a name you can call the hard drive, just press enter if you do not want one.

Reboot the machine and enter the bios. Go to advanced cmos settings, usually the second option and enter. Look for the setting of first boot, change this to cdrom by using the PgUp button. When done press F10 to save and exit.

The computer will reboot, put the M.E. disk in. It will take you to a a:\ dos prompt. Now pick the drive letter for your cdrom, probably d and enter. This will take you to d:\ and type M.E. setup after it. So it reads d:\ M.E. setup and enter. If nothing happens change the d:\ to e:\.

M.E. should automatically load.

Saying all that I also agree that 98se is far better than M.E. but this is showing you how it can be done. Good luck.

Newbolt 16:05 29 Feb 04

Thank Vog and Norman47. The error messages are as described in VoG's link. Have gone into scandisk from MS/DOS and it is telling me that 'scandisk cannot read from the last cluster in drive c. This cluster is either damaged or your system is not configured properly, etc, etc.' All the programs work, so is it feasible that the hard disk is damaged? Is it worth trying a format [and if so precisely how, please]? Thanks for all the advice so far.

Best if we refer you to click here

If the hard disk is damaged you have nothing to lose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac