Windows ME has died

Josquius 18:42 14 Apr 05

Whenever I turn the computer on it looks to load normally ,even has the windows loading screen however then goes to a blue screen with writing on. It recommends the removal of a recently added harddrive to correct the problem.
No hardware has recently been added to the computer.

Any idea what this is and how to fix it?
Could I install windows xp on this computer in a upgrade fashion even with it not working right?

matt1234 18:52 14 Apr 05

well i think if you do that it will just make the problem worse. what you could do is uninstall ME then install a fresh copy of XP

matt1234 18:52 14 Apr 05

well i think if you do that it will just make the problem worse. what you could do is uninstall ME then install a fresh copy of XP

Smiler 19:00 14 Apr 05

Why not try reinstalling Windows ME to see if that helps.

loaders 19:52 14 Apr 05

Not sure if it is the same problem I had a short time ago,but after much sarching I found it was due to a recent Microsoft security Update KB891711 which it appears effects only PCs with Windows 98 and ME.I had to go to system restore and remember not to download next time I was advised to,it cured my start up blue screen problem.

Jak_1 19:55 14 Apr 05

Bootup in safe mode and then do a system restore to a date you know it was working fine.

Josquius 21:14 16 Apr 05

I can't boot up in safe mode, no mode boots up. They all go to the blue screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…