//some 3rd party need geo

Windows ME Failure to Boot

Dobba 20:08 06 Jul 04

My wife's computer, running Windows ME recently had a power failure and the local repair shop fitted a new PSU. The computer now fires up but Windows Me will not boot. The computer shop didn't seem to know what to do and just handed the machine back to me. Symptoms are as follows:-
Whilst the boot proceedure is going on, the Windows Me screen appears briefly, to be followed by the blue screen of death with the message:- An error has occurred. To continue, press Enter or Control-Alt-Delete.
File name UMM(01) + 000132CA Error: UD: 0028: C00142CA.
Nothing works.
Booting into Safe Mode, Scandisk starts then safe mode appears then the blue screen again. This time the message reads
UMM(12) + 00004C3C Error:OE:0028:C0279c3c.

In desperation, I tried loading my Windows XP disk in an attempt to use the format command on it, but after "Starting Windows" appears, a large notice reading "OUT OF RANGE" appears and we are locked up again.
Has anyone any idea what is happening or how I can format the disk?

hillybilly 20:29 06 Jul 04

Sorry i don't know how you paste the click here bit, but just try this address for your prob
click here;EN-US;q277994

Dorsai 20:30 06 Jul 04

IMHO the power failure did some 'consequential damage' elsewhere. If it were mine i know what i would do, but suggesting to another is another matter.

I would be taking it apart, and seeing if the removal of one part solved the prob. but no doubt other more knowing that me will correct this approact shortly.

hillybilly 20:35 06 Jul 04

sorry about the bad link it should be

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q277994

lets see if you can read this post, on the front of support it stillneeds http://

ami 02:08 08 Jul 04

First off, do you have a 'rescue' floppy disc?
This will boot Win ME to where you can re-format the HD.
Second, do you have an installation disc for Win ME?
Formatting will mean a complete re-install of Win ME, you must have the disc.
Have you tried re-installing Win ME 'over the top' of the existing?
The error messages probably refer to damaged system files, see the Microsft Knowledge base article here:
click here;en-us;308366

Dobba 11:15 08 Jul 04

Thanks ami. Your information is most helpful and I will have a go

sattman 16:36 08 Jul 04

Before it crashes do you get any accompanying pop up box messages with "Cmdninst".

Dobba 18:42 08 Jul 04

No. Booting appears to be working o.k. and then suddenly, the blue screen of death!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…