Windows Me fails to recognise 40Gb hard drive

Nyali 18:04 26 Oct 03

I have a maxtor 40Gb drive, it shows as 40Gb at start up and the bios reads it ok and is set to LBA mode but Windows Me shows it as only being 1.99Gb. How do I get windows to pick it up as 40Gb?

DieSse 18:10 26 Oct 03

Sounds like you've partitioned it wrongly.

2Gb is the partition size you get if you FDISK without saying YES to "Do you want to enable Large Disk support"

graham√ 19:12 26 Oct 03

Register at click here , it's free. Download MaxBlast Plus, make a floppy and boot with it.

graham√ 19:23 26 Oct 03

Strike that. Download from click here

karl_a 10:14 27 Oct 03

I think you have partitioned it wrongly as well. If you need to know how to do this, please e-mail me

Taran 10:49 27 Oct 03

Microsoft's page on FDISK and how to set up drives for different versions of Windows:

click here

The excellent "Radified" guide to using FDISK click here

Or as graham√ cirrectly points out, MaxBlast will do the whole process in moments, but a word of warning: drive overlay software like MaxBlast may be fast and very useful to certain tasks but should you ever need to format the partition again you can come badly unstuck, so whether you use FDISK or not from a Windows startup floppy disk, it's worth learning how to use it for future reference.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…