Windows me crashing due to onchip USB

Ricktos 20:01 29 May 03

I have been running a 500Mhz, 128Mb machine and have had a few problems with it carshing. I have never discovered why until now. I gave the computer to my mother and she requires 4 USB ports for a printer, scanner, broadband, etc and on connecting her USB peripherals to the computer and activating the on-board USB ports through the BIOS the computer crashes when loading into Windows. When the USB is deactivated in BIOS the computer works fine. I have tried removing the USB peripherals and running the computer and it still crashes. Me nor my mother can afford any expensive hardware and I am going to Thailand for 2 months next saturday and can't leave her without an operational pc so time is scarce. A friend of mine has told me about a windows program called hyperterminal that may help me to fix the problem but it is not installed on my pc and I can't figure out how to install it, (I have the CD) I have tried checking Accessablility options and the communications menu but they have all their components installed. Someone please help!!!

Lú-tzé 21:02 29 May 03

Try a PCI USB card - they cost about £15 - £20 and might do the trick for you; often they are much more successful than are hubs.

Just check that there is a spare PCI slot (or one that you can remove something else from).

Another possibility is a BIOS upgrade, but check first with the manufacturer of your mobo; they should have an online presence somewhere or other. Try aida32 click here to identify the mobo. Maybe the latest drivers for the mobo and/or chipset may help also.

Sorry, I don't know anything about hyperterminal.

Lú-tzé 21:05 29 May 03

click here for hyperterminal info, although I don't know what it will do for your situation.

DieSse 22:32 29 May 03

Hyperterminal has nothing to do with the USB ports, it's a communications program for modems.

The suggestion of a 4-port PCI card may do the trick.

So may updating the motherboard drivers, particularly if the motherboard uses a Via chipset.

Ricktos 16:17 30 May 03

Erm...what it says above :) thx

Turkey Tech 16:30 30 May 03

Before we go into buying new hardware such as a PCI USB 2 card, which is a good idea nonetheless, I would hazard a guess that your motherboard uses the Via USB controller and as such you may well benefit from installing the latest Via USB filter patch.

go to click here to download it and see if it helps.

Lú-tzé 17:13 30 May 03

You will get a decent one somewhere like scan.co.uk or dabs or ebuyer and so on. But if you are off to Thailand tomorrow, I would go to a local PC World / independent pc store asap and buy one there.

Lú-tzé 17:31 30 May 03

click here for one at £16.99 plus 95p P&P from 7dayshop

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…