Windows ME cannot find product key.

rawprawn 08:01 18 Dec 03

After trying to help my friend with a problem, & having taken advice here I tried reinstalling ME on his computer in place of sfc/scannow. We got about 3/4 way through when we got a blue screen error (after having put in the product key code) I traced the error through google & it turned out to be IE which I reinstalled.Everything seems to work now, but on start up I get the message "Cannot find product key" if I press OK it disappears & we don't seem to have a problem, How can I get rid of the message, will I need to reinstall ME again?
Dennis

Trackrat 08:28 18 Dec 03

Try this and if their are 2 entries in edit delete one.
Try going Start/control panel/system/advanced/start up and recovery/settings/ and in System Startup click on Edit.

rawprawn 09:27 18 Dec 03

Thanks for the reply, I will go and see him later today and try that. I will let you know if it worked.

rawprawn 17:42 18 Dec 03

Sorry I cannot find advanced/or startup settings. I go control panel/system which brings up system properties with four tabs General, Device manager, Hardware profiles & Performance. We are still getting 2 Messages 1st "Unable to load product key library" then "Invalid product key please ensure this is installed correctly" if I press Ok it continues & works no problem. Any more help would be appreciated.
Dennis

beeuuem 18:26 18 Dec 03

You could check to see if the key is installed correctly.
Go to 'Start'> 'Run' and type 'regedit' in the box and click 'OK'

Click on

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

then

SOFTWARE

then

MICROSOFT

then

WINDOWS

then

CURRENT VERSION (make sure this is highlighted)

There should be an entry for ProductID on the lines of '34803-OEM-0076547-34833'
and an entry under that for Product Key similar to
' V9DK4-J123V-AB44T-PP2QY-T3X2Q'

rawprawn 19:09 18 Dec 03

Thanks for the imput, if the product ID & Key are there & they match OK, but if not can I type them in? It will be tomorrow before I can get back to look again, but thanks.
Dennis

beeuuem 19:58 18 Dec 03

The values can be added manually. I'd check first to see if they are there and are correct. Changing the registry is not difficult, but needs to be done carefully (says he after spending a day recovering a system after after a value was deleted accidentally!)
If the entries are missing post back.

R4 20:45 18 Dec 03

Allway tkae a Registry Backup before changing things that war you can always scanreg /restore

R4 20:46 18 Dec 03

Allways take a Registry Backup before changing things that way you can always scanreg /restore

Trackrat 08:30 19 Dec 03

Apologies I gave you the sequence for XP, I hope one of the other replies works for you.
Alan

rawprawn 11:06 19 Dec 03

I checked the registry & everything is as it should be, product key & ID.I think that I am now at a loss as to where to go next, It won't accept a reinstall on the top so I am left with a reformat job and a clean installation. The problem is that he has no cd drive so apart from what could be saved to floppies will be lost.Maybe he will learn to live with the niggle of the errors showing each time he boots up.
Thanks for trying
Dennis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…