windows me

nigelq 18:13 07 Mar 04

i am trying to help a friend, everytime he boots to windows it cannot open any programs, it comes up with windows cannot find c:\windows\ (whatever the program is)but the program\file can be seen in explorer, neither can he operate the run command, control panel or display comes up with ` you do not have administrator priveleges, how can we get back to a default boot of windows,he does not know if he had or entered a default password a restoring the registry did not help, progman can be used via a boot up disc and editing sysyem.ini, retore was not enabled !!
don`t want to have to re-install but looking likely, it started when he loaded norton antivirus 2004, but of course that can`t run or be uninstalled because he can`t access any exe files

VoG II 19:22 07 Mar 04

Almost certainly a virus - but I can't think of the name of the one I think it is.

This will bump you to the top of the board and hopefully jog somebody's memory.

nigelq 18:50 08 Mar 04

yes it was a virus i had loaded norton anti-virus, run a pre-install scan, the program quarantined the infected files, and it was on reboot after install that the problems began, this only became clear to me after several google searches where i found reference to exefix08, an ini file which corrects a registry problem caused by doing just what i had done, although at the time i never gave that as the cause, you live and learn!! live and learn!!, worth remembering for the future.

wawadave 19:02 08 Mar 04

these might help
m.e wont start
click here
how to run m.e well version 5
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…