Windows ME

mike55 12:49 27 Sep 03

I am using Windows ME and I recently tried to restore my computer to an earlier date using System Restore and I found the only restore Point was the last time I installed new software. I thought that System Restore was supposed to make a new restore point each time it was switched on. Have I got it wrong. I can create a manual restore point but what about the automatic point? What can I do to get the automatic point activated. I have looked in System Properties/Performance/File System and ?Disable System Restore is unchecked.
Help

krypt1c 13:25 27 Sep 03

Had you done any windows updates prior to your software installation ? My understanding is that if you do a windows update all restore points are deleted. I think it's bacuse MS assume if you do a windows update you wouldn't want to restore to before it.

Mango Grummit 13:56 27 Sep 03

The auto side of it often does not work on many machines. That is not unusual. I just do one manually every so often or before installing something and this, in any case, takes up less room as well as not using system resources unnecessarily.

citadel 17:56 27 Sep 03

In the restore options there is a list monday, tuesday, etc. tick the box next to the days you want. It is also supposed to create a restore point when you install or uninstall progammes.

VoG II 18:00 27 Sep 03

click here may help.

leo49 18:04 27 Sep 03

System Restore is supposed to create a restore point if it's enabled;

At first boot;

Every 10 hours of continuous system operation;

Every 24 hours of real-world time;

Every time Windows Update installs something;

Every time you install any software using an installer program that System Restore recognizes (such as InstallShield 6.1 or higher).

Windows Update certainly does not cause restore points to be cleared.

However, as Mango pointed out, System Restore is notoriously unreliable and a whole library of MS knowledge papers listing various fixes are available for you to try.

krypt1c 18:11 27 Sep 03

leo49 - I stand corrected ;-))

mike55 20:43 27 Sep 03

Thanks for all you advice. I think I will follow the advice of Leo 49 for now and look through VoG's contibution at leisure.

Dipso 21:50 27 Sep 03

Your not running Zonealarm are you? There is a problem with the later versions of Zonealarm affecting the ability to create restore points automatically. I run Zonealarm and ME and have found that I now have to manually create restore points.

mike55 22:46 28 Dec 03

I have resolved to create new points manually. Thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…