Windows M.E. 10 hard Drive.!!

Chrisann 17:16 07 Dec 06

My old comp has a 10 hard drive..some of which I have downloaded to the new XP but some won't.. To save me keeping the old set up is there any way I can get the contents of the hard drive..say to some removable storage device so I can connect it to the new XP comp and see it on the new set up screen. Hope I have explained what I mean....

Chrisann.

g0nvs 17:34 07 Dec 06

Why not install a second HDD & leave ME as is with XP installed on the second drive ??

Chrisann 14:58 08 Dec 06

I presume you mean opening up the processor and putting the M.E. hard drive in the new comp running windows XP. That would obviously mean someone to do it..as I have only had the new set up for 5 weeks and wouldn't want to invalidate any guartantee.

Is there no way to use this 10 hard drive without putting into the new comp...i.e. transferring it all to an external device and plugging it in to the new comp. Somewhere I thought it could be done..thought I had read it somewhere. Maybe I am wrong.?

Chrisann.

Chrisann 14:58 08 Dec 06

I presume you mean opening up the processor and putting the M.E. hard drive in the new comp running windows XP. That would obviously mean someone to do it..as I have only had the new set up for 5 weeks and wouldn't want to invalidate any guartantee.

Is there no way to use this 10 hard drive without putting into the new comp...i.e. transferring it all to an external device and plugging it in to the new comp. Somewhere I thought it could be done..thought I had read it somewhere. Maybe I am wrong.?

Chrisann.

Pamy 15:04 08 Dec 06

You could buy a USB /IDE adapter and then the old drive can be plugged into a USB socket as an external drive

Pineman100 17:53 08 Dec 06

Do you mean that you want to transfer all your data files from your old computer to your new one? You certainly can't copy across your software from the one to the other - it will have to be properly reinstalled on the new computer, using the individual program CDs (or by downloading, where this is available).

For your data, why not use a USB memory stick? They're pretty cheap these days, and it will always be useful afterwards for backups, data transfers and so on.

Alternatively, buy a USB external HD caddy, and put the old drive into it. Then you can copy your data files on to the new computer, reformat the old drive and use it for backups.

Pineman100 17:55 08 Dec 06

Sorry - just realised that my last paragraph is a repeat of your advice!

Pamy 18:02 08 Dec 06

Pineman100,no probs, my way you do not even have to buy a caddy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…