Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool

johnincrete 05:52 12 Nov 14

I looked at what today's Windows update had to offer and it said it was installing WMSRT - November 2014. This program does not appear in my list of programs from the Start button. As I write this, the update has been running for over 10 minutes and there is nothing indicated in "Overall Progress".

I see that it is a Microsoft free download. Should I have it?

I run AVG supported weekly by CCleaner and Malwarebytes

Batch 09:22 12 Nov 14

This is a program that is part of every Windows Update (I've seen it since Windows XP at least).

As far as I can see it runs at the time of the update. I believe it is intended to check and clean-up with regard to malware issues that could affect the updates. I've never seen it pick up anything - but that could just be due to the PCs being clean in the first place.

Safe to let it run and it will take quite a few minutes (especially on older machines).

alanrwood 10:31 12 Nov 14

Hi Jock1e

Why not let it run. It does no harm. It has probably never found anything on your computers because you are pretty Computer literate. Lots of users are not and it is for them that it is dished out every month with particular attention to those new bits of Malware which are currently prevalent in the wild.

Secret-Squirrel 10:42 12 Nov 14

I've witnessed the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool detect and eradicate infections so it does have a use and is certainly not a "complete waste of time". It never hurts to get a second opinion when it comes to malware detection so let it run every month as suggested by others.

Woolwell 11:20 12 Nov 14

The Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool comes with Windows updates. It usually takes a while to install and run. I cannot see any good reason why you would not want it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple