Windows Mail Problem

driverpete 20:00 03 Mar 08

I recently bought a laptop with Vista installed. I already had a PC with XP. I set up my email address on the laptop in Windows Mail (I already use Outlook Exprss on the PC) and it quite happily sends emails to the world and his dog but doesn't receive them (although they appear OK on the PC). I can't see any obvious differences when I click Tools > Options and compare the two. What am I missing?

igk 23:40 03 Mar 08

bump

BurrWalnut 15:19 04 Mar 08

This assumes your ISP allows mail to be left on their server!

1. On all PCs:
Open Outlook Express/Windows Mail > Tools > Accounts > Mail [mail account(s)] > Properties > Advanced Tab > Delivery and put a check in ‘Leave a copy of messages on server‘.

2. On one PC:
Open Outlook Express/Windows Mail > Tools > Accounts > Mail [mail account(s)] > Properties > Advanced Tab > Delivery and select ‘Remove from server after XX days’ (choose as appropriate)

3. Optional on one PC (if you delete mail when closing OE on Tools > Options > Maintenance Tab):
Open Outlook Express/Windows Mail > Tools > Accounts > Mail [mail account(s)] > Properties > Advanced Tab > Delivery and put a check in ‘Remove from server when deleted from Deleted Items.

4. Send an email to yourself to check that it's working on all machines.

Terry Brown 15:40 04 Mar 08

Windows mail (Vista) has a much more secure system then Outlook Express, and you may not have set up the receive settings correctly.Recheck your smtp( or receive address). Check to make sure they are not being blocked by Vista security settings.
Terry

peter99co 15:57 04 Mar 08

I exported my active email address to a dongle and then imported to new set-up and had no problems. did the same with favorites and cookies.

BurrWalnut 16:01 04 Mar 08

Terry Brown and peter99co

You're both missing the point of the question. To receive mail on more than one machine it has to be stored on the ISP's server, hence my solution.

peter99co 16:49 04 Mar 08

Yes of course I missed the leave copy bit. Its just a friend had problems setting up emails and I imported/exported his details and all was well I even set-up the leave mail and five day limit. A good move was to install MAILWASHER to complete the job

driverpete 18:20 04 Mar 08

Thanks Burrwalnut; that seems to have done the trick!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017