Windows Mail Login Prompt

Honorary Aussie 21:08 08 Feb 09

After using my laptop with Windows Mail for 15 months, 'Windows Security Centre' has suddenly started to prompt me to log in my e-mail address and password every time I try to download or send new mail. Can't find an obvious way to stop it. Any advice as to how I can?

Sea Urchin 22:35 08 Feb 09

Glad to see you found a solution on another thread - maybe tick and click resolved on this one?

Honorary Aussie 08:32 09 Feb 09

Thought it had been solved last night but as soon as I switched on this morning up come the prompt box! Oh dear!

rawprawn 08:36 09 Feb 09

Try changing your password

Sea Urchin 12:33 09 Feb 09

Which ISP are you with? If it's AOL/TalkTalk then they are having "maintenance" problems at the moment which can cause the log-in request

Honorary Aussie 18:59 09 Feb 09

Yes I am with Talktalk so I'll wait and see what happens. Incidentally, I've just restarted the PC after being out all day and got no prompt this time, so maybe resolved.........?

Strawballs 22:13 09 Feb 09

I keep getting that on Virgin (not every time but too many for my liking)I think it must be Vista never had this on XP once user name and password setup in outlook express that was it.

QuizMan 22:56 09 Feb 09

My wife had the same problem on her laptop. The only sure way I found to solve it was to delete her e-mail account from Windows Mail and set it up again form scratch.

I assumed (without any real proof) that there was a configuation issue at the ISP end of things - Sky in my case.

Honorary Aussie 16:04 10 Feb 09

The last post seems a tad extreme! Given that it doesn't happen every time I'll put up with it for now. What I can't get my head round is why is should start to occur some 14 months into the use of the kit.

Sea Urchin 18:32 10 Feb 09

One thing you can try - it sounds unlikely but it actually can work. Go to Tools/Accounts/Highlight Account and Properties/uncheck box to "Remember Password"/Apply and OK. Then repeat and tick box again. Worth a try, and less hassle than setting up the account again, although having said that as long as you have a note of all your settings it should only take a few minutes to do.

I've assumed Windows Mail or Outlook Express in the above, but similar in whatever you use.

Sea Urchin 18:40 10 Feb 09

This from TalkTalk:

Email Issues
There is an ongoing issue with TalkTalk email services; some users will be getting delays in receiving emails and there are potential issues logging into Webmail.

This is being looked at as a High Priority incident, we'll update you as soon as more information is available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…