Windows mail, .doc attachments

RIPInspiron 19:55 PM 14 Mar 12

I use Windows Mail and Word 2010. If I try to open a .doc mail attachment (and probably .xls too), all I get is

"This file does not have a program.............. Create an association in the Set Associations control panel"

Tried to - probably tried every single possible variation in the control panel to get Word to open attachments, all except the correct one. How/where to change things to get this irritation fixed?

mgmcc 22:04 PM 14 Mar 12

Can you not right click the file, select "Open with", then Choose Program, navigate to the Winword.exe program file and tick the box always to use that program for that kind of file?

lotvic 22:30 PM 14 Mar 12
  RIPInspiron 18:30 PM 15 Mar 12

Right click does not offer an "open with" option.

So far as I can see, the link contains nothing that I have not tried already. The program to open .doc is selected as Word, but it does not do so with attachments in Mail.

lotvic 22:00 PM 15 Mar 12

Then it's time for Ramesh Srinivasan's go to this link to read about and then download the patch. Make sure to read the full page.

onthelimit1 08:46 AM 16 Mar 12

Could it be the documents are from an earlier version of Word? If so, you need the MS Compatibility download for Office.

onthelimit1 08:52 AM 16 Mar 12

Ignore my last - that's for the other way round (ie, reading .docx files in Word 2003)!

Kevscar1 09:15 AM 16 Mar 12

Right click click on properties in the general tab it should say open with and there is a button to change.

onthelimit1 11:47 AM 16 Mar 12

As suggested by mgmcc 2 days ago?

wee eddie 11:51 AM 16 Mar 12

Have you transferred the ???.doc out of the email and onto your PC?

Or are you trying to do this while it is still within the eMail.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

The 84 best Mac games: Brilliant RPGs, shooting games, adventure games and puzzlers for Mac OS X