Windows Mail

jim98 18:23 05 Jan 08

I've just bought a new laptop with Vista Home Premium & Windows Mail. I've managed to get it working wirelessly linked to my pc. When I set up the laptop I set up the new email account as instucted by Virgin but I can't receive emails on the laptop, though I can send them from the laptop. My pc uses outlook express. Is Windows Mail compatible with Outlook Express i.e. should I be able to share my emails on both machines?

Jim

Forum Editor 18:35 05 Jan 08

to whichever machine you choose, but only to one of them - unless you decide to amend the settings to leave a copy of the mail on the server.

If you launch Windows mail on the new laptop first, that's where the mail will arrive - launch Outlook Express on the other machgine first, and the mail will be downloaded there.

I don't recommend leaving mail on the server unless you will regularly fire up the same machine first. It's easy for mail to accumulate on the server if you forget about it, and suddenly you'll find that your mailbox is full, and nobody can send anything to you.

namtas 21:22 05 Jan 08

I have XP, I am not familiar with windows mail - but I use MS Outlook set up with POP3 to do what you require - Virgin is my ISP.

If I download emails to my main PC I get the original once only, but if I download emails first on my wireless Laptop a original waits presumably on the server. I am not set up to leave copies on the server. This works very well for me and is very convenient. I originally did have it set to leave a copy on the server but that used to give me multiple copies occasionally.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…