is windows lost?

Rennaissance 22:29 30 Dec 03

Hi i was just wondering, i have recently formatted my system which uses arecovery disk to format but that day i didnt use it and done it manually as i was installing windows xp pro after. Now it is all gone, is there a way i can get ME back. Although im not having trouble with xp i was just wondering, could it be on the recovery disk somewhere, but missing some files as i think some thread long before stated this.

hugh-265156 22:43 30 Dec 03

if it was a recovery floppy yes most likely ME is gone if you formatted the drive with fdisk.

the floppy reads from a hidden partition on the drive where ME factory set up is located,if this was deleted you cannot get it back.

if you had a floppy and master disc than thats ok as it will restore from the cd.

Rennaissance 00:26 31 Dec 03

No i had a cd recovery disk that came in 2 discs.

hugh-265156 00:33 31 Dec 03

if you have masters and a floppy my guess is your ok for a reinstall if you want then.

Chegs ® 02:48 31 Dec 03

Somewhere in PCA archives was a readme on creating a dual-boot with Recovery cd's,but as usual I cannot locate it via search,thats possibly because the info wasn't in PCA,but elsewhere on the click here you decided to keep both ME and XP,it could be done.Unless you just want to return to ME from XP,which might be possible if you installed XP over ME,as if memory serves me there should be XP listed in Add/Remove.If not,then you will have to run thru the "normal" install from Recovery cd's.

Chegs ® 02:50 31 Dec 03

click here should read www So,if

User-312386 04:28 31 Dec 03

its all lost

The restore to factory settings disc and floppy are there to confirm the O/S as this is hidden in another partition.

As you have formatted your HDD you have overwritten the hidden partition with all the CAB files and therefore your old O/S is lost

Jester2K 09:05 31 Dec 03

"As you have formatted your HDD you have overwritten the hidden partition"

Surely this depends if the hard drive was FDISK'd and repartitioned into one partition??

Formatting only overwrites the drive you elect to format. It doesn't affect any hidden partitions unless to specifically delete them using FDISK and then repartition the drive.

Rennaissance 11:48 31 Dec 03

thanks all for your advice, i was thinking this would be the answer. I just wanted to know that's all. Got this from pc world and they didnt give me the full disc and just some recovery ones. :(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…