Windows Logon box won't go away!

dm123 18:26 16 Jul 05

There is no password already on this system, but when it boots up a Windows Logon box asks for the Usernam & Password and gives a Tip that if the password isn't entered, I won't be prompted next time - wrong! It does it every time. In Control Panel Passwords I've selected the 'All users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings' option, and in Control Panel Network, the Primary Network Logon is Windows Logon. There was some damn process called winmgmt running, but disabling it hasn't made any difference. Apart from the logon dialog box, everything works great. The machine is an IBM 300PL running Win98SE.

dm123 18:42 16 Jul 05

my manners seem to have gone astray; any ideas would be welcomed. Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:47 16 Jul 05
  mgmcc 18:47 16 Jul 05

The usual way to get rid of the User/Pass logon is to delete any .PWL (Password) files from the Windows folder. Then when you reboot for the first time, you will be prompted to enter a Username and Password - enter a Username but leave the Password field blank. Subsequent boots shouldn't then prompt for login details.

dm123 05:50 18 Jul 05

I deleted the PWL files, but each time I rebooted I got a blue screen 'fatal exception' error prior to the Windows Logon box appearing, and the machine didn't seem to remember that I'd entered a usernam previously. Finally, I compared the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Network/Logon entry with a known, good WIN98SE machine - there were a couple of extra entries in the registry of the problem machine, inclusing something to do with a group process; deleted those and it's worked fine ever since. Thanks guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…