Windows & logging off

cearve 19:34 10 Jul 10

I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which I bought secondhand running Windows 7 Home Premium. When I want to shut down the laptop it takes ages to logoff before it reaches the shutdown point when it quickly turns off. Why should it take so long to logoff as I make sure all programmes are closed beforehand. Any ideas of how to correct this would be great. Thank you.

Clapton is God 19:42 10 Jul 10

This cure is actually for XP, so not sure if it'll also work in Win 7:

1- Start/Run and type Regedit
2- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CURRENT CONTROL SET/CONTROL
3- Click on “Control”
4- Select “Wait to kill service timeout”
5- Right click and select “Modify”
6- Set to a lower value than 2000
7- A setting of 200 will be sufficient

Normal setting is 2000 but can safely be reduced to 200 for a quick shutdown. Sometimes in PCs, including my own, an extra nought is added on to make it 20000. Not sure why this happens but when it does it leads to a very long shutdown time.

cearve 21:04 12 Jul 10

Hello Clapton. I checked on this value and it was 5000. As it was so high I reduced it to 1000 but it dont seem to have made any difference. Should i go the rest to 200? I also have a Dell desktop which closes down very quickly so I thought I would check the timeout value on it. It was 20000 as you mentioned. Cant understand why the desktop closes so quickly but the laptop is so slow. both are running windows 7 Home Premium.

Clapton is God 15:16 13 Jul 10

Yes, try 200

cearve 22:12 16 Jul 10

Seems to not make any difference setting it at 200. It is just the period of 'Logging Off' prior to shutting that takes so long. The actual 'shutting down' period is quick when the long period of logging off has completed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5