Windows log in

danpep5552 20:12 28 Jul 05

I do not want the windows log in scheme. I need the fax to receive automatically first thing when the machine wakes up in the morning. I do not want to enter a password. How can I get the computer to wake and go straight to desk top. Thanks

mattyc_92 20:17 28 Jul 05

What version of Windows?

danpep5552 20:49 28 Jul 05

Sorry XP home

mattyc_92 21:02 28 Jul 05

Start->Run and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotations though)

Untick the "User must enter a username and password to use this computer" and type in the username and password for the Username you wish to open.

Restart your system and the welcome screen is no more.

danpep5552 16:51 31 Jul 05

Thanks for this but it will not go quietly into the night. There are 4 users listed, administrator, as administrators, ASPnet as users, my name as administrators, guest as guest. I un-ticked the box and was asked for the password which was accepted. When the computer turned off and logged back on a warning box came up saying the system could not log you on, make sure user name and domain name are correct then type password again, then the usual warning about upper and lower case. I am pretty sure my password is correct as I put it in and in case I changed a couple of lower/upper cases for names and the same happened. As a matter of interest the four names mentioned 3 passwords show they can be changed the one with my name does not seem to allow it. Thanks again

mattyc_92 18:15 31 Jul 05

Try removing your password. Then try again.

mattyc_92 18:17 31 Jul 05

PS. The others (Administrator and Guest) are built in. As for the ASPNET account, I always remove this, but don't remove it unless you have a backup of your whole system using something like Acronis or Ghost.

So basically, don't mess around with the other three accounts.

danpep5552 17:12 03 Aug 05

No matter what boxes I seem to amend tick untick or revise password it still appears. Worse now I cant stop it asking for the password. It didnt happen on my old computer and that was XP Home

danpep5552 22:14 03 Aug 05

I have tried calling the fax number whilst the log in screen is on and the phone just rings on even though I have set it to answer after 2 rings. I have not tried that though since installing office 2003, so I'll try it again tonight. Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…