windows load options

conrail 10:29 12 Mar 08

brother in law borrowed my copy of xp home to reinstall using his key from label on pc side, unfortunately he got the error message 'invadid key' so he contacted ms and after speaking to 8 different people this girl told him he needed to buy his own installation disc, he is unemployed due to his disability so there is no way he can aford to buy xp, his niebour has just given up on ms and bought an apple so give him his xp pro disc which installed 1st time, he even did a full format to clear the disc rather than a quick format, unfortunately now when he switches on he has to choose which installation, pro or home, home wont load because it gets to the insert key option, tried it out of curiosity, how can he get rid of the xp home option and boot straight into xp pro?

ACOLYTE 10:52 12 Mar 08

You will need to edit the boot.ini file
click here explains how its done.

Only delete the parts relating to XP Home otherwise the pc wont boot at all.

It tells you also how to make a backup copy,i would do that first.

birdface 11:01 12 Mar 08

Can only think that he made a mistake with the Keycode.I have installed my own and my sons computer with a borrowed disc and had no problem getting it verified by Microsoft.Sorry cant help with the XP Pro problem.

johnnyrocker 11:35 12 Mar 08

did he use capitals? or is it now too late to retry?

johnny

conrail 11:52 12 Mar 08

thanks ACOLYTE, I will give that a try
also thanks buteman and johnnyrocker, he tried while I was there, he had written down the keycode and I verified it for him, he did use capitals, I used click here to get a ms freephone number but they wen't any help, they kept pointing me to the option that gives numerous sets of 6 numbers even though I explained we had not got that far,

conrail 13:54 12 Mar 08

thanks ACOLYTE that has done the trick
also thanks buteman and johnnyrocker for your help, I apreciate it, now brother in law up and running, no thanks to microsoft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…