Is Windows Live Messenger a securty risk.

gudda96 09:07 15 Jul 06

I have friends who invite me to type/talk live using Messenger but another friend said it is a security risk.

Any comments or experiences please

Belatucadrus 09:42 15 Jul 06

Any form of data transfer to a PC is a potential security risk, from instant messaging to the humble floppy disk. The decision as to what is an acceptable risk is yours, on one hand you could disconnect from the internet and fill your communication ports with epoxy resin, very safe but a touch extreme. If you do decide to try instant messaging, make sure your anti virus is kept up to date. I'd suggest avast! anti virus click here ,fully automated and it has an on access protector that specifically monitors messenger software.

gudda96 11:39 15 Jul 06

Belatucadrus

Thanks for reply, nicely put also, mind you, sometimes I nearly do get the resin out of drawer.

Point taken though and I am very security conscious and used to use Avast but changed to AVG which as you know, are the two most popular free AV.

After doing some research, and a reformat, I have for the first time, paid for a prog and it is NOD32 antivirus.

I also have ZA/Mailwasher/Spybot/Adaware/Ewido/SpywareBlaster

I have a neighbour who's son has gone to work in Germany and they wish to keep in touch by phone/pc the cheapest and best way. They were going to Tesco to buy 2 handsets at £14 each and they will give one to their son and both parties sit at their pc's to talk.

I suggested that there are several methods now like Messenger/V-Mail/Skype/ but dont know much about them and cost or effeciency, can you comment.

Belatucadrus 11:54 15 Jul 06

Can't offer hands on advice, as I'm not into messenging, texting or phoning if I can avoid it. But if cost is an issue Skype to Skype is free click here calls to non Skype numbers are charged. Tesco is I think the same. Drawback is that you'd need the PC on and connected for the line to work.

Input Overload 11:57 15 Jul 06

I too use Nod32 & are very happy with paying for it, I have used MSN for many years without a hitch, the latest version has an inbuilt virus scanner. MSN Live Messenger is running here several hours a day without any problems.

gudda96 11:59 15 Jul 06

Thanks to you both, shall read up on it.

Brumas 23:09 15 Jul 06

Sorry to hijack your thread gudda96, but thought the following info would be of some interest?

When I changed to NOD32 I installed it easily enough but subsequently found, from reading many opposing yet educational articles, that viruses etc. would be most definitely detected and stopped but not deleted if using the default settings. Well, not being very ‘computerate’ (is that a word?) I immediately looked at the settings and their numerous options and realised I did not have enough ‘savvy’ to configure it properly myself.

I searched and found the Official Eset NOD32 Antivirus Forum
click here and found the
“Extra settings for Nod32 v2.5 - revised 17-06-2005” thread which is a fantastic walkthrough tutorial by their forum moderator, It runs to 4 pages but I diligently worked my way through it and now feel a lot happier in that all my options are covered.

Brumas 23:13 15 Jul 06

sorry click here

rdave13 23:17 15 Jul 06

To perform a "click here" I suggest that you right click the url or address in the address bar at the top of the page and click "copy" in the drop down menue. When you post here and wish to convey a url then double space and then right click and click "paste".

rdave13 23:18 15 Jul 06

Arghh.. beat me to it. Apology sent...:))

Brumas 23:27 15 Jul 06

No need to apologise - just a case of 'more haste - less speed' on my part ;o}

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…