Windows Live Messenger

VoG II 14:39 23 Jul 08

Hello. I am trying to fix a problem with a friend's PC. When he starts Windows Live Messenger he gets a message that he is already logged in at another location and promptly gets booted out of messenger. But he isn't logged in elsewhere! This is a standalone PC with a broadband connection (ISP Telefonica in Spain). A/V is NOD32 updated.

This may or may not be related but a folder has appeared in Program Files called BadgeHelp containing a sub folder called Traveler. This doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs and even Revo Uninstaller doesn't find it.

Any ideas?

Clapton is God 14:51 23 Jul 08

What happens if you (at least temporarily) delete that BadgerHelp folder to the Recycle Bin?

VoG II 14:56 23 Jul 08

I've deleted the folder but the problem persists. I've scanned with SuperAntispyware but it only found 24 tracking cookies.

I'm sure I've seen this problem posted here before but I can't remember the resolution or find anything searching the Helproom :o(

Clapton is God 15:04 23 Jul 08

Uninstall Messenger; a thorough clean with CCleaner and/or RegSeeker; reinstall Messenger??

VoG II 15:24 23 Jul 08

So simple but effective!

Thanks!! :o)

VoG II 15:48 24 Jul 08

Actually it wasn't quite that simple!

After a restart WLM was still complaining already connected at a different location although we did not get booted out. We discovered that a version of the old Windows Messenger was present. After removing this using click here all is now well.

Clapton is God 15:50 24 Jul 08

And the moral of this story?

It's Microsoft software, thus it's never as simple as it first seems. ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced