Windows Live Mail Not Working

Actor One 21:17 06 Jun 10

I cannot receive or send e-mails via Windows Live Mail, I keep getting various error messages, and I know it`s some random tick box or settings problem, but for the life of me I can`t find the solution

Error message

Unable to send or receive messages for the pop3.virginmedia.com account. The connection to the server has failed.

Server: 'pop3.virginmedia.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10060

can somebody please tell me the correct settings for Windows Live Mail, in Windows 7.

...or can I simply uninstall Live Mail, & re-install it, and why oh why was Outlook Express removed, it never broke....

Thanks in advance.

Jollyjohn 21:41 06 Jun 10

First thing - are virginmedia having any technical issues? Ring the helpline there is often a message at the start if they are aware of any issues.

Can you login on webmail - click here - this will make sure you are using the correct password.

Livemail is actually very similar to OE behind the scenes - look for the box that says "log on using secure authentication"

Try Mozilla Thunderbird, you can set this up and run in addition to livemail. Just tick the box to "leave a copy on server" and your messages will only download to livemail.

Strawballs 21:47 06 Jun 10

I had exactly the same problem yesterday with pop.ntlworld.com (now virgin) but today working fine without changing anything so it must have been them. Check by phoneing 150 from virgin phone to see if they have any problems in your area

Taff™ 22:22 06 Jun 10

Virgin have been having problems with their blueyonder e-mails for the past three weeks. I`m afraid phoning them is the best option here, they seem to be able to sort it on a one to one basis.

birdface 22:25 06 Jun 10

Check out the service status with this.

click here;jsessionid=E890ECB515DA6DC2E64AFA1D1AD95AD8

And remember SMTP should be set at 25

Actor One 22:34 06 Jun 10

Webmail works, and I`ve checked the service, seems there are no problems. I know that it`s probably something I`ve ticked in a box in the scores of tabs that Windows Live Mail has, just wish I knew what the correct settings are... unless of course it is a Virgin problem.... again..!

Bring back XP & Outlook Express....all is forgiven.....(:=(

Actor One 22:38 06 Jun 10

Buteman, as a matter of interest when clicking on the link and entering my tel. number there`s an error message stating

We are currently experiencing difficulties with our systems. Please try again later.

....says it all I think...

..will try again tomorrow... thanks everyone for now...

Sea Urchin 22:41 06 Jun 10

How to check your Virgin Media email settings in Windows Live Mail

click here

birdface 22:46 06 Jun 10

Not sure if tool is any good or not.

click here

Actor One 23:12 06 Jun 10

Thanks Sea Urchin & Buteman, twas the same site you sent, and the solution given, works, I knew my settings were wrong, now right, and e-mail works..

Choccy topping and hazelnuts all round....!

(:-D

Sea Urchin 23:27 06 Jun 10

Choccy topping and hazelnuts all round....!

Mmmm - sounds good. Glad it all works now, and lucky that buteman and I agreed :@)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…