windows live mail

weemacs 20:06 19 Apr 10

have moved on to Microsoft 7 and windows live mail. Have succeeded in importing address book and emails etc but every time I try and sync or get a new email literally thousands of emails for my email address at btinternet.com download from the server. How do I stop this. All I want was my old send a receive I had with outlook express. Any advice gratefully received.

Sea Urchin 22:08 19 Apr 10

Firstly in Windows Live Mail go to Tools - Accounts - highlight your mail account and click Properties. Go to Advanced tab, and make sure the the box beside "Leave a copy of messages on server" is not ticked - then Apply and OK.

I am assuming you are still using btinternet for your mail - go to the btinternet.com webmail site and delete all the mails in the Inbox.

tes 07:15 20 Apr 10

Sea Urchin Where do I find tools in windows live mail?

weemacs 15:10 20 Apr 10

have done as you suggested on both counts. am still with btinternet.com. Now when I try to send a message I get this fault message

The server does not support a SSL connection.

Subject 'test'
Server Error: 250
Server Response: 250 8BITMIME
Server: 'mail.btinternet.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC7D
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): Yes

rdave13 15:22 20 Apr 10

Click on the menus icon (one with the arrow) and select 'show menu bar'.

Sea Urchin 23:50 20 Apr 10

Sorry - been away all day.

In Windows Live Mail go to back again to the Advanced tab (as you did before) and under Outgoing mail(SMTP) remove the tick from "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" - click Apply and OK.

tes 07:10 21 Apr 10

Thanks for that rdave13

weemacs 19:54 21 Apr 10

neither the outgoing or incoming mail boxes are ticked for secure connection can receive mail but not send any.

Sea Urchin 20:36 21 Apr 10

Your error message above shows that the SSL connection is active - are you still getting the same message as before. One other thing - with btinternet you need to have the server authenticated. Go to Properties again, and this time to the Servers tab - under Outgoing mail Server (at the bottom) make sure you have ticked My Server requires authentication - click Apply and OK.

By the way have the "literally thousands of emails" now stopped when you check incoming mail?

weemacs 14:50 23 Apr 10

I couln't get it resolved so I gave in as I was also having problems with the operating system and reinstalled it. Now I am running fine but can't find a download for windows mail. I am running Windows 7

Sea Urchin 15:10 23 Apr 10

As you were advised on your other thread you cannot download Windows Mail - it is part of the operating system on Vista and is not available separately.

I suggest you tick the box on this thread and click Resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5