Windows Live Hotmail server doesn't delete POP email until you Change Settings

lotvic 25 Sep 11
Answered

Not a problem that I'm needing to solve - more a heads up if you didn't know about it.

Although I have set Outlook Express to delete Hotmail pop email from server after 14 days, I have discovered that Windows Live Hotmail does not do that. On logging in to Windows Live Hotmail server I am told:

*"Your messages are in your POP folder! Some other program is set to download and delete your messages from Hotmail. Just in case this was an accident, we've put them in a special POP folder. Not an accident? Change settings "*

So it seems that instead of deleting emails it puts them in another folder until I change the settings on the Windows Live Hotmail server.

Upon opening folder 'POP', I get:

*"What's in this folder? These are the messages that you downloaded to another program using POP. If you'd like downloaded messages to be permanently deleted, you can change your settings "*

I find I have hundreds of emails there that I thought had been deleted after the 14 days (my setting in Outlook Express) and gone for ever..... Hmmmm... I've now got to change the settings on the server.

lotvic 25 Sep 11
Answer

just posting so that I get the tick to click as resolved

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Windows 10 Home vs Windows 10 Pro comparison: Here are the extra features you get in the Pro version

Why Formula-e needs to go faster

Found Studio reveals the making of the Unleashed, Uncut Peugeot 208 viral

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message