WIndows installer for XP

The Dazza 16:56 02 Jan 05

Every time I boot up XP I get an "Installer" message coming up and it then mentions something to do with front page, to which I have to cancel to continue. How can I get rid of this??

JIM 17:04 02 Jan 05

Have you been to windows updates then canceled a download or loaded any MS software of late.

What is the full message before you cancel it?

The Dazza 17:19 02 Jan 05

"Microsoft Office XP professional with front page" then says "error 1706 - setup cannot find the required files". I have recently reinstalled Windows Media player as there was a corrupt file in it.

JIM 17:33 02 Jan 05

Go to the add/remove programs and highlight your Microsoft Office XP professional.Select the option to "change" not remove it!! then select the Repair option.Should stop the problem.

Bearing in mind your Windows Media player problem I would try the same to that "first".

The change/remove tab are all one with that but it leads to a repair of the player.See how it goes after a reboot,before doing the above.

I would not think a systems restore back "first" would do the trick,though nothing to lose.Possible you will have to reinstall Windows Media player as there was a corrupt file poss at that time?.

Stuartli 17:33 02 Jan 05

The latest version of Windows Installer is 3.0 - it's included in the SP2 update or can be downloaded from the MS website.

bigjohn1943 17:54 02 Jan 05

hi ya i have just reinstalled this version and i have lost my shutdown opption hibernate could you tell me how to get it back thanks john

freaky 18:53 02 Jan 05

Where can I download Windows Installer 3.0 for XP?

I cannot see it mentioned anywhere on the normal Windows Update Centre.

Also, am I correct in assuming that the above Installer is the same as 'Microsoft Installer Programme'?

Many thanks.

JIM 19:41 02 Jan 05

click here

If you have winxp2 it may be installed.

freaky 21:04 02 Jan 05

Thanks JIM, I have upgraded to SP2 so should have it, is there anyway I can check on this?

The initial reason I sent my post was because I have Norton Ghost 2002. In April 2004 I purchased from Symantec an upgrade to make my version of Ghost the 2003 version. This upgrade worked OK.

At the time I did this XP Home SP2 was not available, I just had SP1 installed.

I now have a new computer, and installed Ghost 2002 on it. I then applied the upgrade to make it the 03 version.

The programme ran OK until almost the end, then it came up with the following message: -

'Error 1721 - There is a roblem with this Windows Installer. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personel or programme vendor. Action (2) Location (3) Command (4).

I then had to abort the upgrade.

I spent ages on the Symantec website, but could not find any reference to this problem. And could find no way to email them.

My new computer has XP Home + SP2, so I am wondering if the problem emanates from this, as it worked OK on the old computer which at the time would have had Windows Installer 2, whereas the new computer would have version 3.

If you cannot help please let me know. I will leave this post on the Forum for a while to see if anyone else replies. If nothing transpires I will then make a new post on this specific problem.

Happy New Year.

freaky 10:08 03 Jan 05

For the attention of JIM.

Many thanks for the email, yes this Comp has Microsoft Installer 0.30.

Could be that Symantec are not yet aware that this version causes problems with their Update software.

Stuartli 10:36 03 Jan 05

If Hibernate doesn't work from the usual Power Options panel in Control Panel and you don't have a recent motherboard, you will probably need to reinstall XP Pro over your current version.

At the point early on when it asks you to Press F6 for Raid and other facilities, press F5 instead and, from the menu, choose Configure ACPI PC and continue.

I had to do this because my five-year-old Elite mobo would Hibernate as expected but then wouldn't bootup again properly when "re-awoken."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…