Windows Installer service cannot be accessed

compumac 13:08 26 Apr 05

I have a friend who was using Mailwasher when a message came up to say something to the effect that the caps lock was on and could cause a problem with Mailwasher. He pressed the caps lock button off and the PC crashed. He was unable to reboot at all. We booted up using Partition Magic on CD and found that “Partition improperly dismounted”, - the correction given was to run CHKDSK /F. This we did and the PC rebooted but was only able to run in Safe Mode. When starting up in normal mode the processor was working continually at 100% and therefore ran verrrrry slo-o-o-w. Starting in Safe mode we used MSCONFIG, selected the Services and Startup tabs and deselected all and were able to boot up. We then gradually began to check each of the items in both of these tabs until it was found that when the four items referring to Trend Micro PC cillin Internet Security 2005 were selected the PC would not boot up. That is - with everything selected, (with the exception of the PC cillin programme) we were able to boot up with all other programmes working satisfactorily. We then decided that we needed to remove PC cillin but were then met with “This Windows Installer service could not be accessed, this can occur if you are running windows in safe mode or the windows installer is not correctly installed”. As we were not running in safe mode but in a selective start up (only excluding the Trend Micro items) we were stuck up the proverbial.

Any help welcome.

compumac 14:45 26 Apr 05

I have checked on the Microsoft site and if I am reading it correctly(?) I can download Windows Installer V3.01 and install directly over the top of the existing files?
Any thoughts? Help!

compumac 18:40 26 Apr 05

?

VoG II 19:15 26 Apr 05
  compumac 19:49 26 Apr 05

Thank you. I had been to this place and note that it specifically refers to "Error 1719 This Windows Installer service could not be accessed, this can occur if you are running windows in safe mode or the windows installer is not correctly installed”. The problem does not display an error number. Could I take it that this would apply anyway. There are several areas on the Microsoft site which refer to the problem without a reference to an error number, and it is a puzzle to us as which is the correct way to go. The system is using Windows XP Home.
Any further advice? (please)

VoG II 19:55 26 Apr 05

I would try click here first.

As far as I can see, none of the fixes would do any (further) damage.

If you have an XP CD you could also try a repair click here as a "last resort".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…