windows installer problem

lofty29 21:29 01 Jan 08

Hi,When I tried to update my antivirus (ca2008) created havoc on my pc, Ended up transfering to a totally differnt software, but since then keep getting windows installer opening on startup, pops up several times. Will not always allow downloaded programmes to install, message, another installing is running, comes up. have run ccleaner but still there, any suggestions please.

bluto1 21:33 01 Jan 08

Hi, What's your OS?
What AV did you uninstall and what AV did you install in it's place?

lofty29 22:07 01 Jan 08

Hi Bluto1, os xppro,uninstalled ca 2008,(troubloe started) installed avg,zone alarm, spybot

skidzy 22:11 01 Jan 08

Unregister Windows Installer, and then reregister Windows Installer. To do this, follow these steps:

1. On the "Start" menu, click "Run:.

2. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /unreg", and then press ENTER.

3. On the "Start" menu, click "Run".

4. In the "Open" box, type "msiexec /regserver", and then press ENTER.

bluto1 22:19 01 Jan 08

I've not heard of ca2008 but your replacements are good. Is it freeware or what?
I hope I don't offend with this question, but is
(a) ca2008 totally uninstalled? and (b) How high have you set your firewall defence?
Lofty, I'm far short of being an expert, and the questions I've asked are basic. However let's hope that somebody looks in and is able to help.
This'll stop your post from sinking out of view.

bluto1 22:21 01 Jan 08

I find it hard to believe that it took me 8 minutes to type that. What time zone am I in?

bluto1 22:23 01 Jan 08

Ohmigosh, Maths failed, PCA forum

skidzy 22:24 01 Jan 08

To many of them xmas/new year Vino's bluto Lol :-))

lofty29 09:27 02 Jan 08

Hi Bluto and skidsy, had shut down last night when you sent your replies, thanks for the info will give it a try. ca2008 is computer associates security suite paid for,cost's about 30 quid a year, have been using earlier versions for years and ran fine, then they updated, and like so much new software had a load of bugs, just wish these commercial sellers would adopt the adage of " if its not broken dont fix it". so cancelled and got my money back. the present ones are all freeware, saw them recommended, and they seem fine. as far as I can tell 2008 is totally uninstalled and firewall is set to recommended levels. belated happy new year

skidzy 15:17 02 Jan 08

For reference and might just come in handy click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…