Windows Installer problem

griffo 20:51 01 Mar 07

Suddenly today my laptop (XP Home) is presenting a Windows Installer box (at various moments)saying it's installing Adobe Acrobat 7.0.9. If I try to cancel it, it takes about 3 or 4 attempts. If I let it continue, it says I need to restart and asks if I want to restart now or later? If I say No, it runs the installation again (and again, and again!), in other words it won't accept NO!

Also my IE tool bar has changed, with most of the icons gone, the 'Back' button has moved from far left to midway, the address box has gone etc.

Has anyone any idea what's going on and how to fix it please?

VoG II 20:53 01 Mar 07

System Restore?

woodchip 20:55 01 Mar 07

Acrobat is set to download updates Automatic. You can disable Auto Update. Or better still Remove Acrobat and use this click here it's a lot faster better and more functions

griffo 21:11 01 Mar 07

VoG - good idea, will try as soon as it finishes doing a full virus check (thought I should do that, just in case)

Woodchip - thanks but it's not referring to Acrobat Reader, it's the full Acrobat v7 I have.

griffo 21:43 01 Mar 07

Tried System restore, firstly to the begining of today (before this problem started) - didn't work. Tried again to the begining of yesterday, again no good.

Any other ideas please?

skidzy 21:50 01 Mar 07

"If I say No, it runs the installation again (and again, and again!), in other words it won't accept NO!"

Maybe im stating the obvious,but why not say Yes.Do you not want Adobe on your system griffo.

Miros 21:54 01 Mar 07

Thanks for that link it's a cracker.

griffo 21:56 01 Mar 07

I already have Adobe Acrobat Professional installed, it's been there for ages. This is a new phenomenon.

griffo 22:06 01 Mar 07

This time when I let it continue and then said Yes to restart, it ran the installation again. So I said Yes to restart again and this time I have the following error message:

Error 1719. The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your suppor personnel for assistance.

Anyone know what this might mean please?

skidzy 22:07 01 Mar 07
  griffo 22:16 01 Mar 07

thanks skidzy - that sounds as though it could be risky. Any ideas which is the safest method 1 or 2?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…