Windows installer patch package problem

Chris the Ancient 14:13 12 Jul 03

My wife inherited my 'old' computer with Windows XP Home installed. When I had it, I had Office XP Developer on it. Needless to say, she didn't need that. And I installed Office 97 on it instead and put Office XP Developer on my new machine.

When I tried to uninstall Office XP off of her machine, I got the "This patch package could not be opened. Contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer patch package." message. (Yes, the uninstall first - before the install of O97 - would have been better. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?)

Nothing to worry about (I thought) and toddled off to the MS site and found a description of the exact problem. All it needed was a little installer patch package exe program downloading to adjust the registry. Then... I read the smaller print. That patch is only for W98, W Me and W2000 variants!

Let's see if an SFC run would do the trick, I thought. Started that, it demanded the original Win XP disk - and then would not recognise it! (Yes, it was a legitimate disk and load - but I had taken out my back-up hard drive and a rather elderly DVD drive.)

So I am now stuck with in excess of 200Meg of her hard drive cluttered up with unwanted software which shouldn't be there and an unrecognised XP disc.

I can cope with not having SFC available for now, but would like to get rid of the corrupt, unwanted Office XP. And... I don't want to have to a complete system rebuild. It would be too major a job to undertake unnecessarily.

So, does anyone have any good ideas how I can get rid of that darned Office XP?

TIA

Chris

VoG II 14:33 12 Jul 03

Sounds similar to the runaround that I had click here. The installer patch posted by jazzypop does work with XP.

The only difficulty I had was that I had to get rid of lots of stuff before it got round to offering Office XP.

jazzypop 14:39 12 Jul 03

Manually uninstalling Office XP is not a 2-minute job.

There are some useful tips in this thread - click here - but I suspect that you will be spending as much time removing the various components as you would with a reinstall of WinXP.

Chris the Ancient 14:46 12 Jul 03

Hmmm... So they've made it, but won't support it in XP, eh?

Having read your thread (By 'eck, I'm a poet) it is giving me the confidence to try that route.

I shall bear that in mind, but still keep the thread open for a while in case...

(To be honest, I'm having attacks of sheer funk at the moment in case I wrech *her* system and have to give up a load of time rebuilding it to the way *she* has got used to!)

Thanks VoG (With no symbol suffixes - another identity?)

Chris

Chris the Ancient 14:50 12 Jul 03

The simutaneous replies strike again - followed by a relactance for the post to post!

Chris

Chris the Ancient 15:08 12 Jul 03

Have, at last after various interruptions, read that link.

It does not look easy, as you say. I may just have to sit back, relax and as it's working, not fix it.

It's just an annoyance that's not affecting anything, but my brain likes tidy computers! Perhaps, this time though, I'll just put up with it.

For today... lol

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…