Windows installer not starting error 1601

bigfooted 14:38 21 Feb 16
Answered

I have been having trouble installing the latest updates from both Microsoft and Java. I am running Win7 home premium O/S and every time I try to install the updates I get the above message and error code. I have looked up the error code and it says windows installer may not be installed correctly and I should contact my administrator. I do not have an administrator but I have tried running the windows repair utility, I have also tried using the winfix utility in Advanced System Care 9 which consistently tells me it has fixed the problem but I still cannot get the updates to install. Any help or suggestions gratefully received.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:42 21 Feb 16

1. Click Start, type services.msc in the search box and press Enter. Services window appears on the screen.
    1. Scroll down to the Windows Installer entry in the Services list and double click it. The Properties window appears.

2. Click the General tab and then click the Start button. Click Apply and then OK.

3. Retry to install your program

bigfooted 11:59 22 Feb 16

Thanks Fruit bat, I have tried this but nowhere in the services table does windows installer appear. I have re-checked the list and there is no mention of windows installer. Having said that, I fired up my computer this morning and the two Microsoft updates installed, the two optional updates and the Java update are still giving the same error code. I am not so much concerned with the Java updates as this is on its way out at last but I would like to keep windows up to date as long as possible.

bigfooted 16:57 22 Feb 16
Answer

Problem is now solved, after several attempts at Reg. editing,( which did nothing at all but get me totally peed off.), downloading and using several tools such as the System Update readiness Tool(SURT for short) and several 'hotfixes'I eventually came across a 'Fixit' program on the Microsoft Support Site called M/S Fixit Installer/Uninstaller.RNP. I downloaded this and ran it and it showed a corrupt registry patch which it repaired and the problem seems to be solved. This surprised me as nothing showed when I ran sfc/scannow. I have just downloaded the two problem updates along with eight others and they all downloaded and installed with no problem. I am not saying this will cure every computer that has updating problems but it is one to try. Once again, thank you to the Forum members for their time and patience helping others.

bigfooted 17:21 22 Feb 16

Just a little addition, one of the sites I visited had a letter from one of its members who was of the opinion that the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program was responsible for some of the problems occurring with windows installer in Windows 7. He claimed the program caused some registry entries to become corrupted and that Microsoft were fully aware of this, so much so that they had created a 'Fixit' patch for this but had not publicised the fact,(how unusual for M/S to do something like that.)working on the principal that people experiencing this problem would either solve it through forums like P.A.'s or would eventually find their way to the support site and seek help there. I do not know if this is correct but, like him, I have now opted out of this program.If anyone wants to do the same, click 'Start', in the search box type 'Customer Experience Improvement Program' . Click on 'Change CEIP setting'. Select 'No I do not want to participate.' Click 'Save changes'. Done

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…