Windows Installer keeps wanting to Install

alternator 11:24 19 Oct 08

On a Dell Dimension 9150 I am running XP pro sp3.
AV is AVG and firewall is Comodo.Each time I boot up, I keep getting two programs wanting to launch windows installer. Firstly Dell support centre, and Roxio Back up my PC. Both these programs are listed in Start>Programs but neither has an unistall. But both programs are already installed. If I go to Control panel > Add remove programs they are listed, but there is no Add/remove button (in fact the majority of programs listed don't have the Add/remove buttons available, a few do though. I also tried removing both programs from the Start up menu, but that has no effect. they seems very insistant that they want to launch the installer. It is more of a nuisance than anything, any help appreciated.

provider 2 11:36 19 Oct 08

One way is to use the Windows Uninstaller Clean-Up Utility click here

This will get rid of these programs, or rather will stop them from starting up, but to get rid of them completely you will need RevoUninstaller:
click here

Alternatively, you may want simply to disable the Dell support thing using the AutoRuns Mananager of Revo.

alternator 11:39 19 Oct 08

I will give it a go, anything to stop it keep starting up mid way through things will update you on result.

provider 2 11:40 19 Oct 08

You may also want to give PC Decrapifier a try. It found things I`d never heard of pre-loaded on a new Dell and removed them. It didn`t have enough clout to remove Roxio, though:

click here

provider 2 11:47 19 Oct 08

alternator,

Must add the crippled version of Roxio made disc playback stutter continuously in both sound and picture. Only Revo could find and delete the registry keys that were the root cause of this behaviour.

alternator 15:34 19 Oct 08

Provider thanks for your help. Revo worked beautifully, I can now use the computer without continual interuptions. Thanks again.

provider 2 15:49 19 Oct 08

Welcome.

RevoUninstaller is the answer to lots of problems, though it does take a while to read through and understand all the things it can do.

I haven`t used all the functions in it, but only because I haven`t needed them ... yet.

I found the "search as you type" function very useful for finding things that don`t show up anywhere else.

mfletch 15:54 19 Oct 08

I have a small user guide on my site for Revo

click here

provider 2 15:59 19 Oct 08

Thanks for that, mfletch.

Can I have a pint as well?

Switcher 16:31 19 Oct 08

^

alternator 17:24 19 Oct 08

nm

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…