Windows Installer Keeps Launching Itself

Rogerthedog 18:42 11 Aug 04

When I start various programs, W.I keeps starting up. I've tried uninstalling these programs but I get a message saying, another "application is using the process". No other programmes are running at this time........weird!

Diodorus Siculus 18:51 11 Aug 04

Try downloading the latest version of Windows installer from MS and install it. It may help...

Rogerthedog 22:17 11 Aug 04

Thanks - I'll try that when I get back to work.

hugh-265156 00:16 12 Aug 04

what is it windows installer trying to install when it pops up?

if you wish to remove the software and it says in use, start in safe mode maybe and uninstall it/them via add remove programs. (keep tapping F8 when you switch on and select safe mode from the list)

Rogerthedog 08:24 13 Aug 04

It's trying to install an insurance quotation system, that was installed months ago. I've tried to remove that program via add/remove but it won't let me. It says "another application is in use". I'll try telephoning that companies IT helpdesk to see if the file is corrupted.

hugh-265156 13:25 13 Aug 04

try starting the computer in safe mode (keep tapping F8 as soon as you switch on the computer and select it from the list) then try uninstalling the software via add remove programs.

if it still wont uninstall then try the windows installer clean up tool click here

Adam87 13:59 13 Aug 04

lol the irony of it. I have been looking for a way to get the installer to run itself and there you are trying to stop it. Let me know if you find out why its doing it on its own please.

Rogerthedog 11:19 16 Aug 04

Tried using Safe Mode - still no joy. I'm going to try downloading the latest version and see if that helps.

Rogerthedog 23:47 16 Aug 04

Went into Installshield.Com & followed some fixit instructions. After opening Windows Explorer & expanding the Installshield folder, a load of installer icons & .tmp files were found. Do you reckon it's safe to delete all these. I can reinstall the programmes that they are associated with, no problem....and download the latest version of Installshield. But one of these is corupted I think & that's why I can't upgrade.

hugh-265156 01:02 17 Aug 04

use the instalshield clean up toll from my link above.

make sure you have tried to un-install the software first via add remove programs. if it wont un-install then run the clean up tool and delete the reference to that item of software only. do not remove anything else.

hugh-265156 01:03 17 Aug 04

toll = tool sorry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…