Windows Installer dilemma

firegamp 22:19 04 Jul 10

I am being plagued by a non-working Windows Installer programme. Every so often it puts up a Window saying Preparing to Install and the hourglass stays there forever. If I cancel the thing, it says Cancelling, then THAT window won't go away and I have to use Control Alt Delete. It used to happen when I started up Windows Explorer, then it didn't like Copernicus Desktop Search and the latest outbreak was when I tried to update Adobe Reader -- I never did manage that because the update failed. Adobe blamed the failure of its own updater to access Windows Installer. Please...is there a fix? firegamp

Strawballs 22:35 04 Jul 10

Go to windows update and see if you can download and install the latest windows intaller

michaelw 09:10 05 Jul 10

I had a problem with windows installer so I installed version 4.5 (latest), then rebooted then installed again. You have to install it twice for some reason.

iscanut2 21:22 05 Jul 10

Have a look here click here

iscanut2 21:23 05 Jul 10

I should have said look here ...click here

firegamp 10:05 16 Jul 10

Thanks to Strawballs, michaelw, iscanut - and anybody else who knows me! The Installer problem is no longer. I installed update twice and it seemed to work, until the damned window returned. Flailing about, I uninstalled Copernic. That was the answer. Thanks anyway...I have an update of Installer which I wouldn't have thought of if I hadn't had the problem in the first place. Dare I try Copernic again? firegamp

iscanut2 13:23 16 Jul 10

Dont bother with Copernicus, there are many other search engines to use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…